First Diesel, No Experience

FirstSixOh

Reaction score
I took a shot and bought a 2007 F250 XLT extended cab automatic long bed, Curt gooseneck hitch, Linex. It needed tires and a windshield, which I got the next day. I went with Pirelli Scorpion STRs. The truck has 220,000 miles on it, but if you do the math with the engine hours, you find it has averaged 47.9mph. There's a little dent in the rear bumper, but the rest of the truck is like new. Interior and exterior are nearly pristine. I have 4 gal Rotella T 15w40, Racor PFL2016 oil filter, Prime Guard PDF 9667 fuel filters, and a K & N 57-2546-1 cold air intake on order. I do not know anything about the oil and antifreeze that came in the truck, so I want to have an oil analysis done first and decide on the oil change from that. When I do change the oil, I will install a Fumoto valve and have an oil analysis done every oil change. I also want to pull and clean the EGR, using new O-rings from Ford, and I have a coolant filter system on order from DieselStorm. I'll decide on a coolant flush and change when I look at the first coolant filter after 500 miles. I am not into EGR or DPF deletes (California smog check), and I don't have much use for a tuner. I buy tires for long wear and fuel mileage, and I do not hot rod around. I may eventually pull a midsize 5th wheel. So, am I on the right track with my plans for this truck? Am I leaving anything out? What fuel mileage should I expect? BTW, I paid $8500 for the truck, KBB $16,100. Sorry I'm so long winded, and thanks for any tips, FirstSixOh, San Diego

G Racing

Reaction score
If you are going to keep the egr and cooler look into the egr cooler made by bulletproof diesel. The egr cooler, oil cooler and head gaskets are the weak links to say. Just my opinion. It I would stick with motorcraft oil and fuel filters. I know you just bought it but again in my opinion I would run a afe or s&b intake. Other than that take care of it and it will be a great truck. Oh and welcome to PSA.

Atsah

Reaction score
I took a shot and bought a 2007 F250 XLT extended cab automatic long bed, Curt gooseneck hitch, Linex. It needed tires and a windshield, which I got the next day. I went with Pirelli Scorpion STRs. The truck has 220,000 miles on it, but if you do the math with the engine hours, you find it has averaged 47.9mph. There's a little dent in the rear bumper, but the rest of the truck is like new. Interior and exterior are nearly pristine. I have 4 gal Rotella T 15w40, Racor PFL2016 oil filter, Prime Guard PDF 9667 fuel filters, and a K & N 57-2546-1 cold air intake on order. I do not know anything about the oil and antifreeze that came in the truck, so I want to have an oil analysis done first and decide on the oil change from that. When I do change the oil, I will install a Fumoto valve and have an oil analysis done every oil change. I also want to pull and clean the EGR, using new O-rings from Ford, and I have a coolant filter system on order from DieselStorm. I'll decide on a coolant flush and change when I look at the first coolant filter after 500 miles. I am not into EGR or DPF deletes (California smog check), and I don't have much use for a tuner. I buy tires for long wear and fuel mileage, and I do not hot rod around. I may eventually pull a midsize 5th wheel. So, am I on the right track with my plans for this truck? Am I leaving anything out? What fuel mileage should I expect? BTW, I paid $8500 for the truck, KBB $16,100. Sorry I'm so long winded, and thanks for any tips, FirstSixOh, San Diego

Be careful with the K&N.. I had one and I went back to stock.. I don't think they filter very well and they pull oil off the filter up the intake tube and it puts a film of oil on the MAF and causes EGR related codes.. As said the Bulletproof cooler is a good idea.. I never had much luck cleaning the valve, seems that it doesn't last very long.. Best way to keep it clean is with your foot a few times a week..

dmd

Reaction score
The oil/gauze filters are Ok if you always stay on the road. If you get in dusty
conditions they dont filter well. Paper filters filter well as do the stock. To get better
flow and good filtration you need larger filter surface area. The oil/gauze just
have a more porous media the air can go through, so they dont filter as well.

The drop in oil/gauze filters are the worst.

DieselheadJake

Reaction score
Do not get an aftermarket cold air intake...I bought a KN intake when I was 17..didnt know anything about diesels then I looked at my turbo and all the oil off that filter was just covering that turbo. Im going back to stock as soon as I have money.

Like Atash said, look up bulletproof diesel for their EGR coolers and oil coolers. But if it hasnt blown yet then why fix it?

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Use only Motorcraft filters, oil and fuel. BTW, the stock intake setup is good up to about 500hp. An aftermarket filter won't help anything, probably just let more dirt thru.

Latest posts

Members online