FNG help with deltas

rman

Reaction score
Just got my x4 today and set her up. Turned off the EGR and loaded the street tune (for now). Warmed the truck up and took her for a short drive.

truck got to about 200 ECT and EOT.... took her up a small incline and saw them climb to around 205-210, delta was consistently 2-4* Gave her 2 short romps, maybe 50% throttle

coming down the hill, coasting, about a 3/4 mile stretch, ECT dropped considerably and EOT stayed high, deltas ranged 12-20* (ECT 185ish, EOT 205ish)

Cruised qbout 1/8 mile with grandma throttle, parked and let sit, delta was roughly 12* before i shut her down.

About 82* out today, 11mph winds

Is it possible i didnt drive her long enough to see? I guess i should get her on flat highway for a few miles?
Am I paranoid or is my oil cooler toast?

Stock truck (intake, muffler delete, coolant filter) with 145k

The oil cooler replacement looks like.... a task, to say the least.

Sent from my Nokia 5160 using Snake

LWRC M6IC FOR SALE
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1047608

rman

Reaction score
not sure if it matters, but I've displaced about 1-1.5 gallons of coolant with distilled. My procedure will be drain/fill, drive a week, repeat, etc.

the 1.5g is just from topping off after coolant filted install, and replacing the heater control valve

LWRC M6IC FOR SALE

Irontx

Reaction score
It'll have the same with a stuck open thermostat. .... 205 is optimal operating temp. I wouldn't worry till you have oil Temps in the 220 - 230 range whilst driving on flat ground.... under minimal load.... that's when ya know she's plugged!!!! Lmao

rman

Reaction score
thanks. I did more googling and it looks like it's normal for the ECT to plummet coasting down a hill.

Gonna get her on the highway in the morning and set the cruise control to 65 to see where the delta is.

rman

Reaction score
on a side note, the "street" tune at 50% throttle is a nice eye opener. Quickly reminded me I need to shim/drop my carrier bearing lol.

Can't wait to get the custom tunes loaded up.

morepower02

Reaction score
I've been daily driving a couple for over ten years with no way to read a "delta". Just run it...

rman

Reaction score
Just did about 20 miles flat at 65mph, 1800rpm

ECT 188-190
EOT 202-205
delta was consistently 12-16*

pulled off Highway, delta at 10* at stop light

A little throttle on the on ramp, ECT at 202 for a second

driving back:
ECT 188-190
EOT 205-211
delta 14-21*

Idle in parking lot got down to
ECT 194
EOT 200

LWRC M6IC FOR SALE

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
As soon as Momma's truck hit 20* delta's during normal driving it got bulletproofed.

Some guys will tell you not to worry at those temps though.

rman

Reaction score
Well giving it a little throttle up a hill, ECT hit 205-210 and EOT was hitting 220-230. I guess that's moot since it's up a hill.

Anyhow, here are my options

$300 oil cooler, install myself.
Total, $375 w/ coolant

$300 oil cooler
$75 FPR Spring
$20 T-stat
$825 labor
Total, $1300 w/ coolant

$300 oil cooler
$75 FPR Spring
$20 T-stat
$100 water pump
$600 studs/gaskets
$1400 labor
($300-800 machining)
Total, $2495 before machining

ugh

rman

Reaction score
Would I be damaging the truck to leave it as-is for a few months while I save my lunch money? The way I see it, the oil cooler has probably been mildly plugged for the past 100k....

Is there anything I should look out for that would suggest that SHTF? Like ECT skyrocketing, EOT over a certain level at cruising, etc?

swinky

Reaction score
My deltas are about the same as yours and an oil cooler is very low on the priority list. I've been running it with deltas around that for over a year.

rman

Reaction score
My deltas are about the same as yours and an oil cooler is very low on the priority list. I've been running it with deltas around that for over a year.

stock or tuned?
ETA: just saw your sig.... are you studded? My main concern is being on stock head bolts.

I am a child, not literally, but I just got my x4 and am eagerly awaiting my tunes next week.

Needless to say, a new grille, headlights, tail lights, suspension, turboback and gauges :( are now taking a backseat. 2 parameters I'm still missing are FP and EGT

I guess ahead of the oil cooler could be the gauges and carrier bearing shim

Irontx

Reaction score
If your hitting 230 going uphill , un loaded.... your days are numbered. May be a little plugged. When your bouncing off 250.... your out of time for sure...
How big of a hill are we talking about anyhow ????

Last edited:

rman

Reaction score
oil cooler ordered up. BPD egr cooler en route. need to get blue cooler hose/o-rings, studs, intake gasket set, head gaskets, might as well do t-stat and water pump, and stc fitting.

hopefully be able to get the cash together for labor and have her fully bulletproofed over the summer.

in the meantime it's BPD EGR cooler and coolant flush, i know it wont fix it, but my train of thought is that it'll stop it from worsening.

LWRC M6IC FOR SALE

rman

Reaction score
i was emailing eric with Quick Tricks today, and next thing I know Rene calls me directly.

He put my mind to ease quite a bit and talked to me a lot about my truck. My oil cooler isn't exactly the best, but it's still functioning and within spec.

He gave me the greenlight to load up my tunes... so I started with the Looney and I don't think I even need to try anything else.

Only "problem" i have is throttling on the highway. There is a level of guilt associated with that initial plume of coal lol.

Around town she drives pretty much the same, give her the gas and she screams.

As suspected by Renee, driving that same hill with the Looney actually yielded a smaller delta. Flat ground was 4-6*.

Excellent customer service from Quick Tricks! They don't seem to be as popular here on PSA, but I chose them from what I'd read on all the other forums.

LWRC M6IC FOR SALE

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.