? for you 6.0 Gurus

Pure Evil

Reaction score
I have worked on a ton of these things and this one has me scratching my head. I have a 04 F350 6.0 with the six speed just come in, and it makes a ticking sound that does increase with engine rpm and makes that cummins belt squeak at shut down. So I pulled the front belt to inspect the pulleys etc and this truck will make the mentioned noises with the belt off the front so I dive deeper. I pull the valve covers to inspect the valve train/rockers/clips etc, still nothing. I pull the low pressure oil pump gears to see if a lifter has come apart and still nothing(at least it hasn't come apart enough for metal to head into the pickup). And lastly as far as the throw out bearing etc associated with the trans it doesn't really sound like that but it continues to make this sound with the clutch pressed in or dissengaged which is why I didn't start there. Sorry for the long post but wanted to let the army know what I know at present. Any body delt with this problem before or am I the chosen one?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have worked on a ton of these things and this one has me scratching my head. I have a 04 F350 6.0 with the six speed just come in, and it makes a ticking sound that does increase with engine rpm and makes that cummins belt squeak at shut down. So I pulled the front belt to inspect the pulleys etc and this truck will make the mentioned noises with the belt off the front so I dive deeper. I pull the valve covers to inspect the valve train/rockers/clips etc, still nothing. I pull the low pressure oil pump gears to see if a lifter has come apart and still nothing(at least it hasn't come apart enough for metal to head into the pickup). And lastly as far as the throw out bearing etc associated with the trans it doesn't really sound like that but it continues to make this sound with the clutch pressed in or dissengaged which is why I didn't start there. Sorry for the long post but wanted to let the army know what I know at present. Any body delt with this problem before or am I the chosen one?

video of said sound please.

Pure Evil

Reaction score
truck is apart at present but I had it on my scanner before tearing into it. all vitals were good and it wasn't down on power no symptoms except said tapping sound and noise on shut down. Nothing left on it but the toilet seat and then I plan to pull the hpop cover and see whats going on in there while I'm right here

range91

Reaction score
Have seen a 6.4 make a weird chirp on srmastertechs channel on youtube 6.0 very similar as far as what he found

Pure Evil

Reaction score
Thanks for that suggestion on the video I did the same thing with the valve covers off and couldn't pin point the noise. while not quite the same sound(mine sounds like a tap but at shut off sounds like a belt squeal). However it is starting to look like I may have the same outcome. I had to finish another job so I didn't have a chance to pull the oil pump and see if there was any play there or noticeable wear on anything but if that isn't it looks like I'll be pulling the motor.

Jwarren

Reaction score
Bent connecting rod. Don't take much of a bend till rod bumps crank counter weight.

From my smart car.

Pure Evil

Reaction score
Yea man, can't get much done being a key board mechanic. That said this one just had me puzzled and these trucks have been running around too long now for some one not to of run across at least a similar problem so I figured I would post up. I was thinking I had lucked out on a lifter when there was no damage to lpop gears but the more folks I talk to say its going to be a lifter/oiling cam/piston problem. So I hope to have a chance to get it in the floor this week to asses the damage. I've got a shop full at present and this thing is going to have to wait its turn.

05sixliter

Reaction score
mine does the same slight belt squeak at shutdown. Didnt start untill warmer weather hit when im using my A/C, possibly the compressor clutch? i have yet to dig into the noise

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yea man, can't get much done being a key board mechanic. That said this one just had me puzzled and these trucks have been running around too long now for some one not to of run across at least a similar problem so I figured I would post up. I was thinking I had lucked out on a lifter when there was no damage to lpop gears but the more folks I talk to say its going to be a lifter/oiling cam/piston problem. So I hope to have a chance to get it in the floor this week to asses the damage. I've got a shop full at present and this thing is going to have to wait its turn.

i have a 6.4 now with a tick. 2 lifters blew apart.

no damage to the lpop. it did however wipe the cam out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.