For you guys running High HP 7.3's, listen up

Snowman269

Reaction score
I Blew a Head gasket while racing at WOT, and that isn't too difficult to understand, except it shouldn't have happened.

The short story is the truck hiccuped. I was thinking I had an electrical gremlin to track down and diagnose because the truck ran perfect, it hiccuped and then continued to run smooth for another 500 miles before doing it again. It happened so quick, and without warning, and then wouldn't do it again.

I've had these CPS fail on other trucks and it was no big deal, and I've never had one act like this before.

Motor is now fixed, and a few thousand miles later, it briefly cutout again.

After all this time and money, it was the Cam Position Sensor.

Guys, the CPS is now a cheap item and if you are running 3 and 4 times stock HP levels. Don't hesitate to put a fresh one in. Hard to believe a $30 item can mess up a perfect engine and light money on fire in a blink.

I hope my expensive lesson helps someone avoid the same fate.

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
So you blew a headgasket because the cps failed?

Is that what you're getting at?

Or you thought a gasket blew but ended up being the cps?

Snowman269

Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear.

2 months ago I blew a head gasket on my Black Truck.

Because the CPS glitched and killed the engine for a brief second, the CYL pressures spiked and I immediately had coolant blowing out the Reservoir tank. It all happened within seconds.

DI pulled the motor and fixed gaskets, and found nothing wrong, other than a blown gasket. Once repaired, they drove the truck and it ran flawless.

It took a few thousand miles before it acted up again and I was driving easier this time.

JD3020

Reaction score
What cam sensor?

I was running one of the aftermarkets that Tarm has talked about before and it caused my truck to cut out and have lots of hiccups. I'd be running WFO down the road and it'd start cutting in and out, kept thinking it was gonna break something in the driveline. So far the Ford grey ones have done alright.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I believe Tarm found the BWD sensors (part # CSS626) to have characteristics most similar to the original black IH sensors.
I've run them as well as OEM gray and can't tell a difference personally.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Which CPS is the best? I can never remember, they're hard to get hold of apparently

The black ones, but they dont exist anymore. I found one brand new in bag in my stepdads garage a few months before I got rid of my truck. I should have pulled it bqck out of my truck and given it to one of you guys

JD3020

Reaction score
I believe Tarm found the BWD sensors (part # CSS626) to have characteristics most similar to the original black IH sensors.
I've run them as well as OEM gray and can't tell a difference personally.

Thats the one i ran. I really didn't notice a difference, other than it made my truck cut-out and run like ****.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Thats the one i ran. I really didn't notice a difference, other than it made my truck cut-out and run like ****.

I didn't have drive-ability issues with either one. Both regularly fail #3 and #8 cylinders in the contribution test but run and drive just fine :shrug:
Running the BWD one currently with a grey one in the glove-box.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
A few years back there was a huge discussion of this.
Over "there".
If someone wants to dig it up, it was a good read.
Explained exact differences between the black, grey, purple, ect.
I just go to the IH dealer.
I have a black one in my truck and a grey in the glove box.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Those black.cps dont.matter anymore. Go buy one and be done.

I agree with the.sentiment that they are cheap and should be replaced but you could be pulling a good one.and putting in a new one.thats a turd.

Until there is a way to.test them every six months its a gamble you take. Thats why you have to decide what you want to do. I personally wouldnt(not that one cant, couldnt, or.shouldnt) run a high hp.truck down the road as transport. Get a driver and throw some singles in and be done.

Good thread regardless.

TyCorr

Reaction score
A few years back there was a huge discussion of this.
Over "there".
If someone wants to dig it up, it was a good read.
Explained exact differences between the black, grey, purple, ect.
I just go to the IH dealer.
I have a black one in my truck and a grey in the glove box.

It doesnt matter anymore. That was five years ago.now that we had the cps witch hunt. The grey ones now.from ford arent theeee grey ones of yesteryear. I have a grey one in my truck right now, no problems.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I have had nothing but problems out of a lot of different but the oem. I would not run a aftermarket cps in my truck for love nor money. The old orginial black ones still seem to run the smoothest. But when they fail they leave you set.

The grey ones don't seem to fail and leave you on the side of the road. However they will pretty much always fail CCT 3&8. From my experience when one of these are failing you will notice a choppier idle, change in throttle response, and possibly change in cold start cranking time. I have also noticed a difference in power through the rpm band in black vs old grey.

The updated dark grey cps seems to have done fairly well so far for me. The still fail the CCT but have not had any of them give the failure symptoms of the light grey ones. That said the dark grey still does not act exactly like the orginial black ones. Just my .02

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'm confused as to how a CPS can cause a blown head gasket?

How does an injector not firing cause a spike in CP? Maybe I am missing something here, but when a CPS stops working it does not change the timing, it does not cause the motor to stop turning, it just causes the PCM to not fire the injectors...

Motor will keep on turning, albet without any fuel...

Arisley

Reaction score

How does an injector not firing cause a spike in CP? Maybe I am missing something here, but when a CPS stops working it does not change the timing, it does not cause the motor to stop turning, it just causes the PCM to not fire the injectors...

My thought exactly, it is not like a NA gasser that keeps sucking fuel into the cylinder.

TyCorr

Reaction score

Thats what somebody told him.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but the pcm reads engine position off of the CPS so it will change soi real position if the CPS sends the wrong signal at the wrong time. I mean look at it fundamentally. You want the fuel to be injected at a point where peak cylinder pressures occur at or after 15° ATDC. If it occurs before hand, cylinder pressures will go up substantially because throw leverage will be lower. That means the pressure won't be relieved by the piston going down as quickly because there isn't as much leverage. OK so if the CPS craps out and sends a signal when it isn't supposed to, then fuel will inject at the wrong time. Am I wrong?

Latest posts

Members online