Ford grey gasket sealant

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Anyone ever use the Ford gray RTV Silicone Sealant gasket maker TA-31 when putting a 6.0 back together?

From what I"ve been reading the 6.0 is leak prone in several areas and nearly every cover and/or mating surface comes up when I do a search topic for leaks. The front cover leaks, the rear cover, the bed plate and so on. And they do so while using a ford/IH gasket. That being the case would there be any reason NOT to use the Ford grey combined w/ the factory gaskets?

Maybe I"m talkin' out my a$$ but off the top of my head it seems like its use, sparingly, could extend the service life of these mating surfaces being leak free. A thin bed around the bed plate, upper and lower oil pans, etc.. and you could have several surfaces that now have both the molded gasket plus the Ford gray.

Any experience w/ this? Any engine builders here have an opinion. From what I've found, 7.3 builders love it for durability and swear by it.

swinky

Reaction score
I love that stuff. I doubt a bedplate would leak with a healthy amount of that rtv in there.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
From what I"m seeing there are a sh$t ton of gaskets on this 6.0 but I'm reading nothing but how much these things leak. I love how quiet it is and it smoothly and effortlessly it gets up to speed w/o all the racket of the 7.3. I'm slowly becoming a convert.
I have only my bedplate or rear main leak but that being the case, if/when I pull the trigger on this refresh at a minimum the bed plate will be done and if I go full rebuild, every gasket will be done. If I'm going through all that trouble I'd like to have a leak free and worry free truck. I want to do this once and never again. A nice thin bead on every mating surface seems like a good idea, kind of like a back up gun, or the airbag set up.

I'm hoping to find someone who's tried it. I'm almost stupid enough to say fk-it and give it a whirl. I honestly can't think of why it would not work. Ford specs indicate it is Specifically recommended for hi-temp applications on the 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...licone Sealant&category=Sealers and Adhesives

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I had a leak when I did my rebuild. It completely went away with a new rear main seal. I used normal black rtv on the recommended areas on the back cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneturboforme

Reaction score
That gray sealant works really good. I know I used it on my intake plenums and they don't leak only thing is when you want to pull them out it turns into a pita

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I have a tube in my toolbox and use it when I really don't want something to leak! I wouldn't recommend using it and a rubber gasket at the same time. Just use it at the spots where you are supposed to use sealant.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Wouldnt that render the gasket pointless?

I would use one or the other. The sealant probably.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
We use some on the engines we build...however never on the headgasket surfaces. We deck our blocks when we do a complete overhaul. No issues in over 300k miles...per motor that is."Bed plate leaks" do not happen...it is usually somethin else...ie cam sensor seals, front cover gasket, or other gasket failure...others may differ but this is what I've found to be true.

Latest posts