Ford Remanufactured 4r100

Watersurgeon

Reaction score
Just an update with some quick questions.

As you recall I posted a week or two back that I would be either replacing / rebuilding my 4r100 out of my 7.3, 03' 4x4.

As I have a commercial account with Ford my go to guy at my dealer came through for me and all have a Ford remanufactured unit here mid week. (please keep the negative comments out of this thread regarding Ford rebuilds)

I have decided to go this route because its a fast fix to a truck that is down, it comes with a warranty good at any Ford Dealership nationwide, and I can't wait four to 8 weeks for a quality rebuild to be shipped here from one of the few better builders. As I stated originally I was going to have John Wood do the rebuild because he is local to me in SoCal and I know at least 50 guys that have had his rebuilds over the last 12 years. Unfortunately that can't happen at this time because he is out of business, (hopefully only temporarily)

Before I install this Ford Rebuild what are some suggestions you can make to improve it that I can do without tearing the tranny apart.. I am figuring first a TC, so what recommendations. Valve body, (John Woods Valve body is out of stock with virtually every supplier I have contacted, even John has none laying around when I spoke to him a few weeks back) Who else makes after market valve bodies, kits etc... that you can recommend.

A silver lining is I got a guy with a 4r100 he pulled from a 4x4 truck he is going to give me in a few weeks when I can get up to him. That gives me a shell to do a rebuild next fall that I can put on the shop shelf in case the Ford unit takes a shit.

As always I appreciate everyone's comments and lets keep this thread productive. thanks'.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I think most threads here are on topic and rather productive, but OK....

The ford HD reman had crossed my mind a time or 2 as well

Are you changing the coolers as well? Replacing the lines?

I installed the Mishimoto trans cooler and I must say I was very impressed with it.

Those are a must after a transmission failure.

Denver

Reaction score
Have you called Loren at Diesel Tech in San Jacinto to see if he has any preferred builders? I'd just run the HD4R100 and not worry about transmissions anymore. Brother and dad had them in their trucks and never had any trouble.
FWIW, John is semi retired and enjoying the semi retired life. He stopped building transmissions because parts have become obsolete or hard to get. He can't even get reliable delivery dates. I saw him 6 months ago and he was still doing valve bodies, as long as he has cores.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just an update with some quick questions.

As you recall I posted a week or two back that I would be either replacing / rebuilding my 4r100 out of my 7.3, 03' 4x4.

As I have a commercial account with Ford my go to guy at my dealer came through for me and all have a Ford remanufactured unit here mid week. (please keep the negative comments out of this thread regarding Ford rebuilds)

I have decided to go this route because its a fast fix to a truck that is down, it comes with a warranty good at any Ford Dealership nationwide, and I can't wait four to 8 weeks for a quality rebuild to be shipped here from one of the few better builders. As I stated originally I was going to have John Wood do the rebuild because he is local to me in SoCal and I know at least 50 guys that have had his rebuilds over the last 12 years. Unfortunately that can't happen at this time because he is out of business, (hopefully only temporarily)

Before I install this Ford Rebuild what are some suggestions you can make to improve it that I can do without tearing the tranny apart.. I am figuring first a TC, so what recommendations. Valve body, (John Woods Valve body is out of stock with virtually every supplier I have contacted, even John has none laying around when I spoke to him a few weeks back) Who else makes after market valve bodies, kits etc... that you can recommend.

A silver lining is I got a guy with a 4r100 he pulled from a 4x4 truck he is going to give me in a few weeks when I can get up to him. That gives me a shell to do a rebuild next fall that I can put on the shop shelf in case the Ford unit takes a shit.

As always I appreciate everyone's comments and lets keep this thread productive. thanks'.
Nothing wrong with a reman from ford or the hd. Only issues are when you have over stock power adders. And that goes for any stock rebuild stuff. Also has to do with how you drive it. Good custom trans tuning goes a long ways...

dsberman94

Reaction score
I’ve heard a lot of people going with a stock rebuild and upgrading converters and being good for a long time. As Jake said tuning plays a big role in it. Edge tuning I think would kill any trans but some reputable tuning you’ll be fine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.