Front left hub noise

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
20220203_090025.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Coasting is the absolute worst. Very loud, vibration, clanging around.

Under load it tightens up and rumble through the floor is there

tomlin

Reaction score
Have you looked at the front differential? When you are in 4x4 you are loading the front pinion bearing and the entire differential like you do the rear in 2WD. Pinion bearings will exhibit noise on coast if they are on the way out. Front carrier bearings could also be suspect.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'm dropping both the diff cover and the T case fluid this weekend before I tear the wheel ends down so I'll definitely report back.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I hand spun the yoke on the front and it felt really good

jschildm

Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds more like when my rear pinion bearings were going out. You didn't notice it under load, but in that "coasting" range it was bad. So was the puddle underneath when the truck was worked .... It seems a little less likely on a front pinion to me though. I am curious to see what you find.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Lifted it and spun all the wheels and can't hear anything. Removed right side front axle and the spindle bearing is definitely toast. It had a ton of slop in it. Got a new seal ready to go on and I'm shoving it back together.. I would shocked if this was it. Front diff looked and feels great

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I have engaged the tcase with hubs unlocked and the shaft is firmly locked in.

But if it's different I can try that

BrewTown

Reaction score
I don't think it's the issue, but, do you have 1 tire worn more than the rest? Or you fried half the tread off the rear tires making them a different circumference than the front? That will make it bind or wind up as the shafts need to spin different speeds.
Again, I'm not saying this is the issue, just something I've actually seen. No noise caused in that case, funky driving characteristics though...

Have you thought about getting on a creeper and being under the truck while going down the road? Might help both diagnose the location of the noise and kill you at the same time... Yes I'm kidding. Do I need this disclaimer?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I don't think it's the issue, but, do you have 1 tire worn more than the rest? Or you fried half the tread off the rear tires making them a different circumference than the front? That will make it bind or wind up as the shafts need to spin different speeds.
Again, I'm not saying this is the issue, just something I've actually seen. No noise caused in that case, funky driving characteristics though...

Have you thought about getting on a creeper and being under the truck while going down the road? Might help both diagnose the location of the noise and kill you at the same time... Yes I'm kidding. Do I need this disclaimer?
I have access to chassis ears. I might try them first. Lol

Tires are all worn evenly

BrewTown

Reaction score
Id go with a case issue.
Definitely sounds like it could be a loose chain in the t-case. Been a while since I had one apart, is there a tensioner?

I'd assume you could see excessive slack if this was the case (pun?). You may need something to compare it to, but parking in 4wd, jacking up 1 front tire and rotating it back and forth to see how much the front driveshaft moves back and forth at the t-case may be worth a shot. If nothing else it doesn't cost anything...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Eyeballing the front driveshaft vs rear while in the air looks like very minimal slop/difference.

I just gotta tear this thing down when I get home.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Just cause 260k+ miles and being under water couple times, I'll toss these on.

Detroit Axle - 4WD Front Wheel Hub and Bearing Assemblies Replacement for Ford F-250 F-350 Super Duty Excursion - 2pc Set

Latest posts

Members online