fuel filter change, hard start

rjustman

Reaction score
I just recently changed my fuel filter on my 2000 7.3.. I bought an aftermarket(autozone) fuel filter with cap because the cap I had on the truck when I bought it was pretty chewed up.. first time I tried priming the system I couldn't get any fuel to the bowl.. so I read that sometimes you have to pressurize the fuel tank with air to force fuel up to pump.. did that and found out I had a huge leak between the fuel bowl and the new filter head.. tightened it down and no more leak. But now it takes several (8+) key cycles to start the truck anymore.. I changed out the drain with a factory one because it was leaking fuel down the center of the block. I haven't seen nor can I find any leaks anywhere else though.. any ideas? I've read several threads on this but they all seem to peter out and don't give any definitive answers.. im aware of the hutch and harpoon mod and have not done either.. im thinking my problem lies in the fuel bowl somewhere because that's they only thing I've touched. but wanted to see if I can get any insight on the issue before I start throwing money at it. before the fuel filter change the truck would fire up in a heartbeat. after weeks of sitting and it didn't matter where the fuel level was in the tank.. when I bought the truck the fuel light was on and it still fired right up, on level surface or in my driveway on a slant it didn't matter..

rjustman

Reaction score
i tossed the old one already.. I have been told to pickup a wix filter as the oring and quality are much better.. just seems that if I had a leak on the fuel bowl it would show since its under pressure at that point..

rjustman

Reaction score
What's my problem?? I only had to do it the one time..it'll prime,now all by itself it just takes a while..hate to sound dumb but I'm not used to these trucks I know,nothing about the 7.3..it fired up fine till filter change..now it's slow to start..after first start it fires up great all day..barely gotta ouch the key and she's lit.

mandkole

Reaction score
What made to replace the filter ? If this was truly a good performing truck and you did nothing more than put a possibly suspect filter in, then put a top quality filter and cap in and drive it.

rjustman

Reaction score
Not sure what your getting at..I just bought the truck.I always replace every oil and filter,and grease the entire truck so I know where it stands..the truck performed what I would consider ok..only my second 7.3 so not sure what they are suppose to run like..seemed good though..

rjustman

Reaction score
I'll start with filter..if not would hutch mod and replacing fuel line from tank to fuel pump be a good next step??

dsberman94

Reaction score
Like a ford filter and cap. If that cap was the original ford cap, there's only so many ways you can get them off and it usually Mars them up pretty good. That's a $50+ cap btw.

rjustman

Reaction score
Yeah the cap was the one that took the 1/2" drive to get off it was all chewed up and looked as if someone used a punch or chisel to get it off a time or two..that's why I just bought new.it had had enough

Arisley

Reaction score
The pickup foot in the tank in these trucks rot out over time. The little pieces clog up the prefilter in the tank. You need to drop the tank and clean it out. You should go ahead and do the Hutch and Harpoon at the same time you are in there. It is gravity feed from the tank to the pump, if there is fuel in the tank, it should get to the pump just fine. If it isn't, you have a restriction in the line somewhere. About the only place for that is inside the tank. Replacing the filter just brought it to light is all.

rjustman

Reaction score
Thank you..I'll get everything lined out and drop tank..one question on the harpoon mod..I live in Phoenix az where,it's 115 would it be troublesome to do harpoon..just worried about expansion making a mess

mandkole

Reaction score
Not sure what your getting at..I just bought the truck.I always replace every oil and filter,and grease the entire truck so I know where it stands..the truck performed what I would consider ok..only my second 7.3 so not sure what they are suppose to run like..seemed good though..

Ok, was just trying to understand the background on the issue. Unless the filter didn't fit right or defective, should be no issue restarting and running it. Did you drive it some after changing it?

rjustman

Reaction score
Ok, was just trying to understand the background on the issue. Unless the filter didn't fit right or defective, should be no issue restarting and running it. Did you drive it some after changing it?

I still drive it..been hauling with it and everything..just hard to start after it sits all night..takes several key cycles to get it to fire..it doesn't smoke white out tailpipe or anything as if it were trying to fire but to cold or something..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.