Fuel pressure fluctuates quit a bit

FallenAuthority

Reaction score
So just noticed something weird a couple days ago, here is the skinny:
stock fuel system other than regulated return. I have the sender for my AEM digital fuel pressure gauge on the port on the aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.
At idle the truck will sit at 49-52 psi. Cruising it will go from mid-low 40s to 51-52psi. At WOT it will jump all over, 50, 35, 45, 33, 48, etc. I have fresh fuel filters in it as of today (old ones weren't even really dirty), still have same problem.
Is it typical to see fuel pressure jump around like this when reading from the port on the regulator? Just doesn't seem right, I know it doesnt jump around that much on a stock regulated truck when reading from back of heads with a fuel pressure gauge. Just not sure if maybe with the regulator opening/closing rapidly and the sending unit for my gauge being right there where all the action is happening might be making my gauge read funky.
Almost has me wondering if my stock HFCM is dying and just not able to keep up anymore. Truck is stock minus regulated return, innovative xtreme street tune, intake, full exhaust, egr delete, studs. Only has 62k miles, seems kinda early to kill a pump.
Thinking about throwing a new HFCM on it and putting an airdog 150 and sump the tank to keep the new HFCM fed without it having to pull fuel on its own.
Before anyone bashes airdog, I know the ADII is junk, but have heard great things about the 150s as feeders for stock HFCM, and even if it does fail I will still have the HFCM to keep me running.
Input appreciated, thanks.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I can't comment on your exact setup, but I've read pressure behind the heads and now at the fuel bowl with my ISSPRO EV2, it jumps around a little bit, but nothing like that. My jumps are all 1-3psi apart, barely even noticeable, and I just attribute this to the sensitivity of the gauge itself.

FallenAuthority

Reaction score
I can't comment on your exact setup, but I've read pressure behind the heads and now at the fuel bowl with my ISSPRO EV2, it jumps around a little bit, but nothing like that. My jumps are all 1-3psi apart, barely even noticeable, and I just attribute this to the sensitivity of the gauge itself.

Yea I am thinking the stock hfcm is on its way out. Going to get a new hfcm and order up an airdog 150 and sump setup to feed the new hfcm.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yea I am thinking the stock hfcm is on its way out. Going to get a new hfcm and order up an airdog 150 and sump setup to feed the new hfcm.

Don't get me wrong, reading behind the heads I can drain the pressure WAY down to 25psi or so, but it's still a fluid steady drop and hangs there until I let off, doesn't continue to bounce around or anything.

Latest posts

Members online