Fuel pressure reading 0

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I'm on a weekend trip and just before I get to my destination I look up and notice my fuel pressure gauge is reading 0. Truck is still running and I have plenty of power, but I noticed the idle was a little choppy. I parked the truck in the hotel and turned it off. I cycled the key back on and heard the fuel pump kick on, but it sounded a little strained. My ev2 gauge light came on so I'm thinking the gauge is still working. Did not try and restart the truck.

I didn't notice anything obvious right away, but I'm gonna go back out in the morning and try to figure it out. Any pointers where to start? Truck was just down to a quarter tank, and I've had it lower many times before. Fuel system is irates full competition system from 5/8's pick up tube thru fuelab pump and regulated return.

CurtisF

Reaction score
If your fuel pressure truly was at zero, then you wouldn't have the fuel to get much power out of it. It would most certainly be noticeable while driving. These motors can idle at zero fuel pressure, but there's not much giddy up and go at 0 psi.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with 0 fuel pressure. My truck would surge while driving, so I started to diagnosis the fuel system.

Since I have E-fuel with a SD pump, I installed a NO/NC oil pressure switch by the filter housing. The switch began to develop issues which caused the surge; it was shutting off the fuel pump. The motor would still run with 0 pressure. There is enough "suction" from the injectors. The motor will run and start with the fuel pump disconnected.

End result, I bypassed the oil pressure switch and just using a relay.

Billy T.
[email protected]

mandkole

Reaction score
^^ this is a possibility. I was originally going on the report of the pump running, but the pump motor could run and give no flow. From my experience of my earlier SX pump dying, it would idle with no pressure, but as soon as you asked for demand, no dice--

This is one of the few moments when a 2nd gauge on the regulator is worthwhile. It was how I knew my ISSPRO sender died.

Reaction score
My fuel lab pump did something very similar yesterday. Stopped in town didnt notice anything out of the ordinary, came back out cycled the key and i could instantly tell the pump sounded different. Look at the gauge and it between 10-20psi and pump sounds like it is straining. I have a sump and custom built fuel system. Put fuel in it with no change, started driving easy pressure jumped to 70psi. So i pull over turn truck off, cycle key back on same 10-20psi start driving jumps to 70 within a minute or less.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Checked over everything real well this morning. Unplugged my fuel pressure sensor at the regulator and plugged it back it, drained the separator filter and cycled the key. Pressure came right up to 67. Turned the truck on and all seems well. Filled it with fuel and drove around town a little. All seems to be fine. Maybe just a fluke thing with the gauge??

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Pump only has around 5000 miles on it. I'm not sure how old it is. I think it sat on the shelf for a little while at vision diesel before I bought it.

mandkole

Reaction score
Good luck-- Id give it just one more chance and if any other acts of self destruction, it would be back to Fuelab and they should give you some support on it. I run mine at 61-62.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
All of this is what scares me away from aftermarket pump set ups. I eventually plan to do in tank mods eventually, but my stock pump and fuel bowl with the FRX fulfill my needs.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Drove the truck for about 20 miles today and it's doing it again. This time I was able to slowly watch the psi drop from 67 to about 64. Then it fluttered down to about 50. I was sitting at a light and heard the pump groan and the psi went to 0. Truck was still running and if I blip the throttle it still puffs smoke and moves well. Not sure what to do besides try a new pump. Kind of worried about the 650 mile drives tomorrow.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Any way to install a fluid filled gauge? There's a reason quite a few people prefer them.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
This is 5 psi, can't really see it in the picture. And the truck didn't have the power to hold 55mph on hills.

I was limping it home with a dying AD2-165.

IMG_1236.jpg

mandkole

Reaction score
Drove the truck for about 20 miles today and it's doing it again. This time I was able to slowly watch the psi drop from 67 to about 64. Then it fluttered down to about 50. I was sitting at a light and heard the pump groan and the psi went to 0. Truck was still running and if I blip the throttle it still puffs smoke and moves well. Not sure what to do besides try a new pump. Kind of worried about the 650 mile drives tomorrow.

Have you confirmed that the gauge is right? Im surprised you heard the pump with the motor running. I cant hear mine except when the motor is off. The one time I see mine flutter is when the fuel level is below 1/4 and the fuel is sloshing around the straw. Do you have the adapters to scab in a stocker?

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I have a liquid filled gauge at home. I normally can't hear the pump at all. I just happened to hear it at the light. What all do I need to tie in a stocker? Thinking I may try to pick one up tomorrow with some adapters.

mandkole

Reaction score
Ah, gotcha-- it must be a little pissed off. to hear it.

Im not completely familiar but when I was looking at a dual setup, its gonna take a few special adapters to make the stocker work. Need a tube adapter for the suction then one for that metric port on the output. Check strictly's web page to see if there is anything there. If you have an good parts store that stocks lots of Russell or other race fuel system parts, you may be in luck.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I'll hopefully limp it home one way or another. This stuff always has to happen when you're 10+ hours from home.

Blowby

Reaction score
Just adjust the regulator to only push 40 psi. This will take the stress off the pump and it will be fine driving it home.

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
I had a problem similar to billy my terminal on my oil pressure sending worked its way loose and did the exact same thing you're describing if you can I'd connect the terminals bypassing the switch and test drive it.

Latest posts

Members online