Fuel psi issues

97cherokee

Reaction score
Hey guys my truck usually runs about 55-62psi going down the road, if I get on it it would drop down into the high 40s. Yesterday going down the highway it would dip down into the 40s just going up hill and if I get on it it will go down into the 20's. I rebuilt the fuel bowl a year ago with anew spring in pretty sure, I keep the filter serviced every 3k and I get m6 fuel from good places also. Where should I start? Thanks!

97cherokee

Reaction score
If I had to guess the fuel system is all original. I bought the truck with 275 on it and it still had the original injectors... I've done injectors on it, otherwise nothing has been touched on the fuel system. I'm thinking about changing the filter tomorrow, changing the regulator and doing the hutch/harpoon mod.

97cherokee

Reaction score
The superduty only has the electric lift pump right? No mechanical fuel pump if I'm correct?

TyCorr

Reaction score
While its good to change the filters im gonna say the oump is goin tits up..

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I will say i have hardly seen any of these pumps die. I have seen lots of guys change.them because the sending unit.filters.were plugged. And at $700 or whatecer a new for one is, take a couple hours of.time and pull the sending unit apart and.check it. A lot.of.guys were taking the in tank filters completely out, i think its the hutch or harpoon mod that everyone was talking about. You can also run your own suplly tank with a hose going.to the pump to rule out a.restriction pre pump.

97cherokee

Reaction score
ok i ordered a new bosch pump, fuel filter and the diesel oring fuel psi spring upgrade. the kit comes with a 59-61psi spring, 62-65 psi spring and 66-70 psi spring. i have swamps stage two split shot injectors, gtp38r turbo, swamps tunes, and the typical intake and exhaust. which spring should i run? thanks!

mikeeg02

Reaction score
My old pump had about 255 on it when it would intermittently flake out and drop pressure.(I have a gauge in the cab) As good as the factory pumps are, it was the last thing I suspected but once while the pressure dropped I wasn't moving and I listened and heard it sounded upset. I had one on the shelf I bought years ago (from Ford and I think it was less than $300) and since then all is good. I have been meaning to pull it apart and see if there was garbage in it or if it had a bad bearing, but I haven't messed with it. Though just yesterday I used it as a transfer pump to siphon the fuel out of my buddies goat, that we put a fass on and it sounded fine then.

The oem ones last a long time and take a beating. They are hard to beat for long term reliability.

Latest posts

Members online