Fuel setup

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I need to pull the tank because something is clogging my in tank screen. So in going to be doing the 5/8s pick up and change my fuel pump to a walbro. Can I switch my lines to 5/8s and pump and have no problems tell I can get a regulated return together?

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link or list and drawing of what fittings and lines are required for a regulated return?

Big Bore

Reaction score
I need to pull the tank because something is clogging my in tank screen. So in going to be doing the 5/8s pick up and change my fuel pump to a walbro. Can I switch my lines to 5/8s and pump and have no problems tell I can get a regulated return together?

You can even run the 5/8" pick up and line and the stock pump. I would personally skip the Walbro (I've been through one Walbro and have my spare Walbro on truck now), buy another stocker, and build a dual stock pump setup (that is what I'll be doing). I'm personally intrigued by the idea of running a 3/4" line as one person has done.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I'm going with the walbro because I can do the pump and regulated return right now and add the rest of a fuel system later. Nice thing about the walbro is if it does take a chit then I can swap my stocker right back in. The stockers not pushing the pressure I need and something wrong with what's in the tank right now that's the only reason I'm swapping the pump and pickup tube right now. I have our last pull of the season coming up on the 22nd of sept. So I'm just tryin to get her together for that and I will play with the rest this winter

TARM

Reaction score
You do not want to run a 3/4" line unless you need the flow rate it delivers. A 1/2" ID hose with only a 1" offset siphon flows over 100 gph by itself. Siphons work best when they are matched for flow rate.

Big Bore

Reaction score
You do not want to run a 3/4" line unless you need the flow rate it delivers. A 1/2" ID hose with only a 1" offset siphon flows over 100 gph by itself. Siphons work best when they are matched for flow rate.

So what would be the cons of having a larger than "needed" hose size?

TARM

Reaction score
It could allow air bubbles to collect and actually break the prime.

I honestly do not know where the tipping point is. Its entirely possible a 3/4 might be just fine. Totally unnecessary but may still be fine. If you have a setup that flows more than what is needed any more does nothing. You still have no better head pressure or flow thru the pump.

Were it would add more stress is if the pump inlet level ends up at some point with fuel usage above the tank fuel level. At this point going forward the pump would have to work that much harder to pull the larger volume of fuel. Before it with the tank level higher it would not offer any benefit as even @ 1" its flowing more than most setups would ever need.

This is idealist thinking of course. But bigger is not always better.

Latest posts

Members online