gearhead cam

under pressure

Reaction score
Is there proof out on these cams? Been looking but didn't run into it yet.
r r
In a nat/asp motor, that's where the power is made, I'm sure it has its place here too.

moose99psd

Reaction score
The biggest gain of a cam is how it moves the power band and pulls some tq out of the bottom end, which also pulls some CP out at the bottom and that is where motors are blown.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm always a fan of better cams... but you need the proper supporting gear to make it worthwhile.

Gearhead

Reaction score
A cam added to a lightly ported set of heads does more than the cam and heads do separately.... The cam adds airflow even without the help of boost. My stage 1 cam is a stock replacement with faster ramp rates and duration increased in strategic areas to actually add power everywhwere above 1500 rpms compared to the stocker. On my truck with a 38r it spools instantly and will still tool around at 1300 RPMs at light loads if need be without doing anything crazy. The cam will actually increase dynamic compression under boost as well and helps fight drive pressure issues by having LESS overlap than the stock cam (yes the stock cam has overlap). It's a no brainer on a fresh build instead of using a stock cam with high miles that have pitted lobes already.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Should have added to without a DOUBT pnp the heads. Hands down.

under pressure

Reaction score
A cam added to a lightly ported set of heads does more than the cam and heads do separately.... The cam adds airflow even without the help of boost. My stage 1 cam is a stock replacement with faster ramp rates and duration increased in strategic areas to actually add power everywhwere above 1500 rpms compared to the stocker. On my truck with a 38r it spools instantly and will still tool around at 1300 RPMs at light loads if need be without doing anything crazy. The cam will actually increase dynamic compression under boost as well and helps fight drive pressure issues by having LESS overlap than the stock cam (yes the stock cam has overlap). It's a no brainer on a fresh build instead of using a stock cam with high miles that have pitted lobes already.

So does it lower drive pressure (Helps fight drive pressure issues)

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

good to know man!!

Gearhead

Reaction score
So does it lower drive pressure (Helps fight drive pressure issues)

no it can actually create higher drive pressures if the turbine is too small and on paper the cam looks like it hurts the boost drive ratio once the turbine gets overloaded compared to a stock cam.

For example with a 38r.... the drive pressure starts getting out of ratio sooner than stock heads and cam because you are moving more air through the engine at a lower boost level, but the turbine is seeing increased flow. You will reach the turbine's flow limit sooner but also spool up sooner. The thing I recommend is drilling the divider through the wastegate hole and letting it (the wastegate) force itself open at about 34lbs of boost or so. This way you get the instant spoolup, but the drive pressure starts getting dumped when the turbine gets overloaded.

Since the cam has less overlap than stock, you don't have to worry about egr (cute name but exhaust is literally trying to force it's way through the motor backwards) happening when the drive pressure exceeds boost by a large number. That's why most cams have made less power on these motors. You don't want EGR at WOT.

Latest posts

Members online