H-11 Install

caladash

Reaction score
Getting ready to install some H-11 studs in my spare motor. The enclosed directions recommend using a bottoming tap or a thread chaser to clean the threads in the block up. Does anyone know what size to get and where to buy it from? Now is this to ensure the threads aren't thrashed or just to clean the holes up? Would some brake clean and air be sufficient? Last one, is the final torque of 125 foot pounds the appropriate final torque? Gonna double check in the International service manual but I don't know if there are other opinions considering these are studs and not bolts.

JDub

Reaction score
I'd suggest running the tap. Want the threads to be clean and the bottom of the holes clean so the stud actually bottoms out. 125 should be your final torque number.

Sent from my XT907

caladash

Reaction score
So I know these thread chasers exist! Does anyone have a link or know where to get one? All I'm finding are rethreading taps.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sounds like the same size as.those inexpensive sparkplug hole chasers. Use some.cutting oil or.engine oil.and a chaser at least. If you know.what you're doing then run a tap.in there. You have to know how to.get.the shoulders of the tap lined up or you'll ***k the threads up.

Tread lightly!

caladash

Reaction score
I'm not comfy with the tap. Especially not really being able to see in there. I'd feel happy just chasing them but cant find one.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Grab a old head bolt and a die grinder and make your own.

old man dave

Reaction score
You can get bottoming taps from McMaster-Carr. Diesel Innovations has H-11 head stud installation instructions on his website. The studs are bottomed out and torqued into the block so the threads have to be clean all of the way down.

caladash

Reaction score
The studs came with instructions and they say to just install the studs finger tight. Studs came from Swamps.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Yup, just some channels to cut and collect the crud.

Mine had no instructions, but never have I seen a head stud that requires you to torque it into place.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yup, just some channels to cut and collect the crud.

Mine had no instructions, but never have I seen a head stud that requires you to torque it into place.

Right. Thats the exact opposite of the designed purpose.

David N

Reaction score
I was told to run the stud in finger tight and then turn it back out a half turn or so.

And Swamps has a good write up on the install.

Latest posts

Members online