Hard cold starts......school me

GreenMachine

Reaction score
My new to me ride is a 05' rclb 4x4 with 97k on it.

As soon as I got the truck I changed the filter and oil, used a motor raft filter and put in 15-40 motor craft.

Lately it's been getting cooler, wouldn't say cold. Between 30-45 or so at night.

In the morning I wait for the glow plugs to go off and fire it up, it sound like death.

It isn't glow plugs because it doesn't hesitate. It cranks right over and starts but the motor sounds like loose change until it run for a minute or two.

Is this the stiction you guys talk about? Should I go to a different grade oil and add Rev-x?

My business partners 6.4 has no issues cold start with the motor craft filter And motor craft 15-40 oil.

Give me the scoop.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
5w-40 and some rev-x...

Also, check your FICM voltage too.

What should i have for voltage on the FICM?

do you have a sugestion for the 5w-40? Delo or rotella? synthetic or regular?

Not trying to start a battle on oil, I change every 3500 so I dont need anything crazy as far as distance between changes.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Some of the failing signs of a FICM are rough cold starting etc.

A synthetic has better flow at cold temps. I personally run Mobil1, but everyone has they're own preference.

G Racing

Reaction score
The 5w-40 will help in the colder temps and can be used all the time. If you do have sticking spool valves you could use either AR9100 or rev-x to help.

jdc753

Reaction score
sounds like stiction, aka oil related.

My experiences (obviously all others will differ)

FICM going bad...

For this the truck would crank and crank and crank and crank and crank some more, then when it did fire up it would run relatively normal. The truck always ran relatively smooth after firing up, it was just getting it to actually fire that was the struggle.

When the FICM is going out you can crank and crank and you will see ZERO smoke coming out the tailpipe. If the FICM is good and it was glow plugs you would see white/grey smoke coming out the pipe while cranking.

When the injectors were bad/junk

In this case there is lots of cranking but not nearly as bad as the FICM. At its worst, truck not plugged in, cold start after sitting all night in single digit temps. I would cycle the plugs for 2 sets of the WTS light, then crank for about 15seconds and get nothing, then cycle the light again 2 times. Then it would crank and fire up but immediately die after releasing the key. Then I would again cycle the light a couple times, and this time crank it and when it caught I would hold the key to start for another 10seconds and as soon as I would release it the truck would die, but I knew it would soon start. Another go at cycling the light, then this time crank it and when it fired up it would run for about 5 seconds and then die, then the final time after that it would stay running on its own but you could hear it had 3 dead cylinders and would shake and romp violently, but every 15seconds or so you could hear another cylinder start firing and the shaking smooth out till it was finally running on all 8. At this point the truck had to sit running for a good 15 minutes before it could really be driven.

After doing that for most of the winter I got a chance to get it to the shop, it got 6 new injectors and was fine ever since, that was at 92k, and it has 175k on it now.

This is all with conventional Valvoline 15w40 and the truck has never been plugged in and rarely gets a warm up period after it fires up.

Atsah

Reaction score
I would swap the oil out to a 5W40 and see what happens.. I have seen a few FICM's read 48V and there still no good.. If the 5W40 makes a big differance then you will at least know you have spool valve sticktion..

yeehaw

Reaction score
when my FICM was going it started throwing a CEL, but the truck would start right up. But it just sounds like stiction. Mine does it every morning for about 30 seconds or so with 15w40 or 5w40, doesn't seem to matter.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. Gunna change the oil next week to a 5-40.

It's not the FICM, at least I don't think. The truck doesn't have trouble starting, it just sounds like chit for the first 30seconds like yeehaw said.

Maybe some rev-x or hotshot?

bboteler

Reaction score
Similar issue here....when not plugged in right now after sitting all night it romps and if I don't hold the key over it dies. Now if plugged in it starts right up no smoke. 175's from warren were out in about 1500 miles ago but it runs fine. I get white smoke/black smoke while cranking.

If I plug the truck in it will start perfect and not miss a lick. 2 bottle of rev-x in amsoil 5w-40 when injectors were changed (FYI). Ficm shows 54.4 volts KOEOFF. Ideas? Also this only happens on the first start of the day. I can drive to the farm, 20 min, let it sit all day and it fires right back up.

dasboot

Reaction score
What oil are you running? Mine did the same when I had reg rotella 15w40. It did not like cold morning starting. Cured the problem with changing to reg Delo 400 le. No synethics. The Rev -ex wouldn't hurt. A block heater on a timer for an hour or two before take off won't hurt either.

bboteler

Reaction score
Amsoil 5w-40 full synthetic, already two bottle of rev-x in it and I ages with plugging it in but there has to be a bigger issue here...

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Amsoil 5w-40 full synthetic, already two bottle of rev-x in it and I ages with plugging it in but there has to be a bigger issue here...

Heh Berney, try the ar9100. Have had better luck with if than the rev-x.

sent from the shop making things fly.....

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to do an oil change today and get away from the 15-40. I think it's the cause of all my issues.

My tuck doesn't have the same hard issues some of yoursdo, it will start first crank everytime. But for the first minute it just runs loud and rough. Just overall does not sound good lol.

I think switching to a different weight oil like some of you mentioned will help.

I really don't want to plug her in.

dasboot

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to do an oil change today and get away from the 15-40. I think it's the cause of all my issues.

My tuck doesn't have the same hard issues some of yoursdo, it will start first crank everytime. But for the first minute it just runs loud and rough. Just overall does not sound good lol.

I think switching to a different weight oil like some of you mentioned will help.

I really don't want to plug her in.

I know what you mean it sounds like someone inside the engine beating it with chains. Plugging it wont hurt it. I do mine on a wall plug in timer, set for 2 hrs before I plan on going. I don't like to keep it plugged in all night long.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack here, but does it hurt to leave one plugged in for an extended period of time? Overnight, or even 24 hrs?