Has anyone heard of tranny fluid in the degas bottle

c3ncal559

Reaction score
Hey there, issues after issues I feel like, almost regret getting this powerstroke , but I'm looking at the light at the end if the tunnel, the 6.0 updates been done, like 3-400 miles ago, before I got it, thinking no more issues, but I done a coolant flush, after so long of driving I notice a red fluid on top of my coolant, I'm thinking tranny fluid pulled the dip stick notice hardly anything on the dip stick , I checked it cold , possible I read that the tranny cooler busted in the radiator.? Possible change the radiator?

c3ncal559

Reaction score
How do I do this? Yea cause it looks like tranny fluid, I love this truck but I'm scared of it now

Gary

Reaction score
I'd say it is possible. I have seen it happen before and the coolant looked like a strawberry milk shake. So what happened is some bozo replaced the trans and blew shop air pressure in the lines to blow out all the burnt fluid and metal. I cut the tank open to see what happened. When he did that it split the seam on the cooler in the radiator.
I think to check for a ruptured cooler I'd remove the trans lines and pressure test the cooling system and see if any coolant comes out the connections.

c3ncal559

Reaction score
It sure does smell like ATF , looks like the original radiator, at 173,000 miles

edy2a8uq.jpg
3abemahu.jpg

c3ncal559

Reaction score
Thanks I'll order a new radiator, so much for a coolant flush 200 miles ago , looks like I'll do it again , I plan on putting the new radiator in and take it to a shop and have them flush my tranny , is that a good way to do it?

c3ncal559

Reaction score
I have half a gallon of restore but I'm hesitant to use it afraid I can get it all out , I heard dawn soap n bunch of other stuff

webb06

Reaction score
Dawn like the liquid dish soap? What are your step on doing it? How many flushes?

Ya the dish soap. Drain coolant and at least the drivers side block plug. Flush out The heater core with water hose. Fill with water and a couple good sized squirts of dawn. Run truck for 15 minutes then flush everything again. Do that probably 3 times them flush with straight water a couple times or until the soap is all out. Then I flushed with a distiller water faucet we have at our shop. Then do the repair then flush again then fill with coolant

c3ncal559

Reaction score
Thanks I'll do that, I have a half a gallon of that restore but I'm afraid that I can get it all out , my work schedule sucks, I actually had to take a day off work to do the first flush , have seen or heard about the trans cooler rupturing like this? Do u think there coolant in my tranny ? I'm going to do my radiator tomorrow then the flush , I'm afraid to drive it to the shop to have the tranny flushed , so I might just have it towed there

webb06

Reaction score
Thanks I'll do that, I have a half a gallon of that restore but I'm afraid that I can get it all out , my work schedule sucks, I actually had to take a day off work to do the first flush , have seen or heard about the trans cooler rupturing like this? Do u think there coolant in my tranny ? I'm going to do my radiator tomorrow then the flush , I'm afraid to drive it to the shop to have the tranny flushed , so I might just have it towed there

There won't be coolant in the trans fluid. The pressure in the trans system will be far more than the pressure in the cooling system, the reason there's trans fluid in the coolant. Flush the cooling system and don't worry about the trans

c3ncal559

Reaction score
Ok even though it's been sitting for a couple days with no pressure in both lines it shouldn't seep from the crack into the transmission line right? I'm just going to do the dawn soap , I install a couple fumoto drain valves on the engine block , makes it easy to drain the coolant during the flush

swinky

Reaction score
if you didn't already buy a radiator, now would be the perfect time to upgrade to an all aluminum one...

what he means buy this is a quality all aluminum one like a Mishimoto. I bought an all aluminum one online for $250 and its not very great, wish I would have spent the extra money on a Mishi.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
what he means buy this is a quality all aluminum one like a Mishimoto. I bought an all aluminum one online for $250 and its not very great, wish I would have spent the extra money on a Mishi.

yep. Get the mishi. It's worth it. I know a guy that sells them too

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.