Has anyone permanently sealed their sunroof?

chaselee

Reaction score
Recently bought a 15 platinum SD. The sunroof doesn't leak, but if there is any kind of crosswind the wind noise is bad and you can tell it's coming from the sunroof. I will never open it, because I've had terrible luck with Ford sunroofs breaking on the expeditions my wife has had. Is like to just seal it up to stop the wind noise if possible, but I don't want silicone visible from the roof either.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Heres a bump for you. You might have to be the test subject with this mod. It would make a mess if you ever decide to open it or sell it. Might be a turn off.

But it's your choice and if you do it, post up some pictures and let us know if it stops the wind noise.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Is it difficult to put new seals on it? Might just be dried out a bit and not flexible enough to seal tightly.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
My go to sealant is the Window weld by 3M. Most parts stores have it.

I would open the roof, put a slight bead in the rails and close the roof. then seal the seam on top as well.

tomlin

Reaction score
I don't think silicone or sealing it will help with the noise. Every vehicle with a sunroof has this issue under the right circumstances. You are hearing the wind turbulence passing over the cab. Its the lack of sound insulation that comes with having a sunroof. Coming up with a clean way to apply sound deadening insulation on the inside of the sunroof area would be the ultimate solution. Ideally, it would be somehow removable so you could use the sunroof and not affect resale.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.