Having trouble running especially at idle

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
So my truck has been having a hard time at idle. It will turn off when at idle especially on a cold start. When driving it feels like its lagging and getting pulled back for a second. Check Engine light was on and I read it. I believe it was the Injector Control Regulator code. Does this sound like thats the correct problem? Its a $200 part and I just wanna make sure I get it done right the first time.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
IPR could very well be the issue, check to make sure the nut didnt back off.

If you dont know, the IPR is on the Drivers side of the HPOP under the fuel bowl. There will be a pig tail connection and the nut on the end.

Also try unlpugging the ICP sensor on the driver side head. Its the only sensor in the HPOP rail and will have a pig tail on it.
Sometimes they go funky to.
What was the actual code
P12xx ?

littleredstroker

Reaction score
1211??

Fathers obs threw that code, truck wouldn't get over 2500 without cutting out spitting and burping white smoke rough idle .fuel gelled.. hows the filter look?

sent while trying not to JJ My rods!!!!!!

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
Im not sure on the actual code. I wrote it down but it got lost in my truck somewhere. Are you asking about the fuel filter?

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
Yah it has except for the past 3 or 4 days its been in the mid 40s. Last night I drove my truck for 30 min. Parked it for maybe 20min. Drove 30min and it felt like it was being tugged backwards every now and then. I drove the 30min back and when I stopped and let it idle it just turned off. I started it and it turned off again. So I dont think its a problem with the fuel starting to gel.

pontiacross

Reaction score
sounds like an ipr issue but could be an icp sensor too. I would try unplugging the icp sensor and see if it runs any better first

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
It does run better with the ICP sensor unplugged. With it unplugged it sounded like it loped on a cold start and then went to idle okay. It sounded like it was gunna stall when she came back down to an idle.

Oil is full but Im right around the corner for an oil change so its a lil dirty I dont think it matters too much in this situation.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
If the truck runs better with the ICP unplugged, the sensor could definitely be your issue. Is there oil down in the connection part of the sensor?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
usually when you unplug the icp sensor while at idle and it changes the idle that usually means the sensor is good... when the idle doesnt change that usually means its already running in default mode and the sensor is bad. if the idle is not smooth and is trying to hunt for a smooth spot its prolly the ipr. anyway you can monitor icp?

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online