Head Gaskets :cursing:

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Im not real sure what i should do, from what i read its not really safe to drive it while there bad and i guess i have been driving it about a month with them bad. Im stationed in Germany so its going to be kinda hard for me to find the machine shop to do my heads but I'm sure i can find one. Im trying to decide if i want to just ship it home or go ahead and fix it here. I have 1 year left in this place...

DHFF

Reaction score
I'm 100% sure you can find a machine shop there to get it done. You want want it like that for another year and you can have it fixed for what you'll pay to have it shipped back. I'd get on the net and do some research on reputable shops there.

Mdub707

Reaction score
It's Germany... I think they take their automobiles more serious than we do. I'm sure you can find a reputable machine shop. The tricky part may be finding one that has worked on 6.0 heads.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Exactly...thats my worries. From what i can tell i want a shop that X-rays the heads, changes out the exhaust valve seats to hardened chromoly( Stealite ), repairs exhaust valve cracks and Does NOT deck the block i only want them to shave off what is necessary to get them flat.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
So i changed my tune from SRL to my IDP street tune and went and hauled some furniture 50 miles and i have not puked a drop since...? I guess its just because of the lower cylinder pressure of the street tune vs SRL?

duddy

Reaction score
I would agree on the cylinder pressure idea? I have a similar problem with my 6.4 high hp tunes it pukes, play nice, and it is fine.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
dont put hardened seats in those heads. the heat from diesels expand the cast iron and they fall out.

they dont need to be xrayed either. just have them pressure checked.

Mdub707

Reaction score
dont put hardened seats in those heads. the heat from diesels expand the cast iron and they fall out.

they dont need to be xrayed either. just have them pressure checked.

I agree, no need for x-ray. Some guys have them magnafluxed to check for cracks. I wouldn't bother, most likely they have cracks, but not enough to cause worry.

There was some good discussion by a member who was more active on the ORG about the seats, he installs them in all the 6.0 heads he does without issue. There was quite a bit of talk about the tolerances used to ensure they would not fall out and he's done a ton of them. He didn't stake them either, just used a tighter interference fit.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Ok what is the normal going rate to get the heads ready to put back on? Just so I know what kinda price range to look for over here.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
Ok what is the normal going rate to get the heads ready to put back on? Just so I know what kinda price range to look for over here.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

If no machine work is needed we would do it for around $2800-$3000 here. We get charged $250 for decking heads

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Ok bringing this thread back with a different motive..I should get my orders to leave Germany in about 5 months at that point i can ship m truck back to the US. I don't actually PCS till Dec tho. My truck has puked very little since i started this thread(only when pulling a big hill or driving stupid). I would like to continue to drive the truck until i can ship it BUT if its going to cause more damage its not worth it to me. Ill just put it in storage mode and let it sit. My coolant PSI gauge should be in next week so i can start monitoring that while i drive and i check the degas bottle every time i get out of the truck to make sure it has not puked. I need some solid opinions if i should park it or continue to drive it?

duddy

Reaction score
My 6.4 blows coolant when I am on the hot tune, and being dumb. Seems similiar to your situation, I am driving mine until I get all my parts, it has been doing this since September when I broke it pulling an eliminator. I have been driving it as my daily, just keeping an eye on if it gets any worse. Not sure if that helps you any, I am not to worried about mine being that i need to hit over 40psi of boost to get coolant to blow.

Latest posts

Members online