Head work and turbo noise Qs...

fastbee

Reaction score
Couple of questions about two unrelated things:

Anyone know of a good machine shop near Knoxville, TN that is familiar with 6.0 heads? I'm currently not studded and not having any issues, but if I stud it I'd like to have the heads thoroughly checked out and any issues corrected before putting them back.

Also, my turbo (or something) makes a pretty loud moan/whine when I start driving forward. I thought it might be a driveline issue, but I can "power brake" the truck and when the boost starts to come on the noise starts and I'm not moving. My previous Super Duty was an `05 and it didn't make this noise...any ideas what it could be?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Swamps Diesel is a couple hours away... not sure how far you want to travel.

Can you be more specific with your noise? What year truck is this? Any mods? does it sound like a high pitch squeal? A tea kettle noise? A whistle noise? A loud rushing air noise? Any idea where it's coming from roughly? Sure it's not just air being sucked in through an aftermarket intake or something like that? You said your old one was an 05, what year is this?

fastbee

Reaction score
Truck is an `07, pretty much stock. Only mods are a 3.5" DP and cat delete pipe. SCT with a custom tune and a coolant filter and EGR delete. The noise is a high pitched whine. Only happens when building boost. It was there before I changed anything at all. Not loosing any coolant and no signs of HG issues. Did some searching on other forums and think it might be a boost leak ( maybe from cracked up-pipe). Picking up the stuff on the way home today to build a boost leak tester.

sootie

Reaction score
i had a squeak under high boost and it was a head gasket. it made that noise for quite a while until it finally puked.

fastbee

Reaction score
It's not really a squeak...kinda reminds me of when a fire engine siren first starts out, more like a wailing that starts low gets louder and then kind of tails off as boost builds. It's loudest at about 5-8 lbs boost but maybe after that I just can't hear it as well because the engine is louder. This morning I built a simple boost leak tester and hooked it up. I set the regulator on my compressor at 5 psi and opened the valve on my test rig. I slowly started increasing the pressure on the regulator (the compressor was not running during the test) at about 10 psi I could hear a very faint "leak" but couldn't tell where it was coming from...sounded like behind the turbo toward the passenger side but again I couldn't pin point it. Slowly kept increasing pressure to ~20 psi and stopped. It blew the tester off after less than a minute and the "leak" didn't get any louder, so I'm not even sure it was truly a leak. I tried three times all with the same results. I don't have a gauge on my test rig, but the system was holding pressure pretty good to eventually blow the rig loose, right? The post regulator gauge on my compressor held pretty steady after each adjustment. Any ideas?

fastbee

Reaction score
No soot that I can see, but I did some more testing with my leak detector rig this afternoon and have pretty much narrowed it down to the y-pipes leaking. I got my hand worked back in there and couldn't feel any air but it definitely muffled the sound...guess I'll start looking for a set.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
sounds like a leaky up pipe. Super annoying... and another thumbs up for swamp's if you aren't too far. Those guys know their stuff!

fastbee

Reaction score
Update: Replaced the y pipe...what a PITA. I hate removing/installing that f'n turbo! Anyway, got new pipe in and it made no difference in the sound...pretty disappointing. Some have suggested a leak on the boost side, but I couldn't really hear any leaks at nearly 20 psi with my leak tester. Is there anything else it might be? I hate just throwing parts at something...

fastbee

Reaction score
Replaced degas cap out of curiosity, no change. But I did notice that the cold side IC pipe was very oily looking where it connects to the IC. Couldn't tell if it was oil or coolant but it is pretty gunked up. My truck has the plastic tube and I've been reading some today that they are prone to failure. Could that make the noise? Wouldn't it make the same noise with compressed air being fed into the turbo?

fastbee

Reaction score
This is really starting to piss me off. I pulled off the cold side pipe and found a crack in the bellowed area at the IC. Got a metal pipe and boots and installed them...still have the f'n noise. Pulled hot side IC pipe and both boots. Found some small cracks in the turbo boot, but decided to pressurize just this pipe and boots. Filled it until the boots were swelled out pretty far but no leaks. I replaced the turbo boot anyway and as expected the noise is still there. Had my wife power brake the truck while I was looking under the hood, for the life of me I can't locate the noise. It was louder when my head was on the passenger side of the turbo, I couldn't really hear it as much from the driver side. Also, it seemed to be right at the turbo. Out of desperation I pulled my EGR valve. There was some "splatter" on the intake mating surface, but it looked old. The o-rings were not really hard but the gasket looked awful. Might go by the dealer to see if they have a new one on Monday. Could the turbo itself be causing the noise? I really don't like just throwing parts at something, but I really don't know where to go from here.

slc dzl

Reaction score
I am in the same boat, I have looked and looked to find no leaks and this is driving me nuts.
mine makes the same noise between 5-9 lbs of boost.
I have no soot on the back of the engine compartment, no blown boots, and all v-bands are sealed and tight.
About to throw a spare turbo on to see if that's the problem.

Fastbee does yours do it worse when cold?

fastbee

Reaction score
slc dzl: Doesn't seem to matter if cold or not. One thing is the first time I start it, I can drive about 1/8 mile before the noise kicks in...then it does it all the time after that.

Kyle43335: I've never heard another 6.0 make this noise. My 05 didn't do it at all. Not trying to argue, but it just sounds like something is wrong...

fastbee

Reaction score
Still trying to track this noise. I had the thought last night to see if it was something belt driven that might be the culprit. With truck in neutral and revved to 2000 rpms no noise present, same thing with truck in park and rpms brought up to 2000. So it appears to be boost/load related. I unplugged the VGT controller and drove around some. I could just barely hear the noise...really had to pay close attention to hear it. I couldn't build any boost knocking around town with the VGT unplugged, but I guess that is expected. So would this tell me the turbo is the issue? As soon as I plugged the VGT back in the noise picked right back up.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
slc dzl: Doesn't seem to matter if cold or not. One thing is the first time I start it, I can drive about 1/8 mile before the noise kicks in...then it does it all the time after that.

Kyle43335: I've never heard another 6.0 make this noise. My 05 didn't do it at all. Not trying to argue, but it just sounds like something is wrong...

i hear ya. i have had trucks make that noise, and other that dont.

Latest posts

Members online