Header/Up Pipe Questions

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Going to be running a t6 flanged charger on a full built pulling truck and while just fooling around with some flanges and some piping, I noticed a large difference from the size of the factory 2" up pipe to the entry of the t6 housing. The housing is divided and a 2" up pipe will almost fit inside the entry to the housing. Not only will it make it a pita to fit up and make look nice but I'm kind of worried about creating a "dead" spot at the entry with such a size difference where exhaust gasses can cool and lose velocity. I fit a 2.25" piece of pipe up to it and it fits nicely. However I don't really want to run a reducer down to 2" for the same reason I mentioned above so I was thinking about building my own headers and up pipes with larger tube. Factory ports are 1.5" so maybe 1.625 or 1.75 primary's with a 2.25" collector and up pipe, which brings me to my question, will I be shooting myself in the foot by going larger? I know it could potentially have a negative effect but has anyone ever toyed with a larger up pipe size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
It may significantly lower exhaust velocity on the low end which might hurt spool up time. I could be way off on my reasoning though. :)

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Seems to me, I read the same thing somewhere about the gas velocity affecting spoolup.
That's essential what the different a/r setups do. The tighter the turbine housing (lower a/r number) the higher the gas velocity but drive pressures can become an issue at higher boost numbers. It really just shifts the power band around.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
I'm not really concerned about "spool up" I've got as much time as I want to spool this thing up. What I don't want is to have it be a lazy pig and fall off the charger when it starts to load it hard at the big end of the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
If your not looking for bottom end response, I'd probably open the exhaust ports as far as possible, and run the 2.25 pipe.
No expert here, *disclaimer*, lol, but from everything the seasoned guys say, these blocks will tolerate a lot of airflow, if you have the fuel to keep the heat up.

Latest posts

Members online