Heavy blue smoke

JD3020

Reaction score
This engine is currently on a shelf with 2 other 7.3's in our shop, but i'm thinking about pulling it out for my next project. Its a 2000 forged rod engine, said to have 120k miles, and was also said to have tested at or over 400psi on all 8 cylinders. Visually the engine is very clean, no real rust or oil leaks like you'd find on a 7.3, so i do think its a low mileage engine. I don't know much about it, came in my F-450 and the guy i got it from paid a shop to do a compression test, clean it up, and put it in the truck. Thats when the issues started, and i ended up buying it and doing an engine swap.

The problem is this thing would constantly haze blue smoke, cold or hot, there was always a cloud around it. I immediately swapped injectors, and pulled the turbo to check it. Didn't make a change, and those injectors and turbo are currently in my 450 that runs fine with 0 smoke. It had a slight miss and ran sorta choppy, but i think that was a fuel issue i didn't fix until after the engine swap. It did burn some oil, coolant never changed. When i pulled the engine out there was quite a bit of oil on the back of it and on the trans, looked like it was coming from the drivers side bank.

20150325_1716032_zpski3cvyav.jpg

Any ideas as to what could've been putting that much oil into the cylinder? I'd like to pull it out in the near future and tear into it, but no idea when i'll ever get around to it.

jaybuller

Reaction score
Piston rings, burn. I wouldn't take someone's word on the compression check. I would do a leak down and go from there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.