Heavy towing mods

60powerplant

Reaction score
I have a guy that bought one of his work trucks to me and said it pulls like ****. He pulls 18,000 lbs all the time!!! It has a bully dog chip, banks exhaust, banks intercooler. He said what would be some good mods to help with pulling? I did see the up pipes are leaking so I'm going to stared with them.

What would be some good stuff to do?

DocBar

Reaction score
Cold air intake and Gearhead tunes. I pull a 12,500# 5er with no problems at all.

The biggest difference with Gearhead's tunes is that my truck doesn't fall on its face shifting gears or when the TC locks up. It's really easy to keep the RPM's up.

bruce

Reaction score
Bean writes some fine tow tunes. Ac's, 38r and a 6.0 tranny cooler is where i would start. Tymar intake as well

under pressure

Reaction score
I had at one time a live tuned tow tune. GCWR of 25,500 with my 39' Montana
No matter the grade would not burn more than 1200 deg. and hold 65 mph on most grades.
Dual trans coolers held 180*
Pulled from Anchorage AK to Tucson AZ.
Just a good reliable travel set up.

60powerplant

Reaction score
That's something the guy is looking for! I'm going to call gearhead Tomorrow about a tune. I pull the turbo off and has a little shaft play and exhaust side looks oily. So order a 38r, a 6.0 Trans cooler, and gauges.

under pressure

Reaction score
That sounds good, wished then I had done the 38R as it would be nice to have now with no 5er.
Is the trans stock ? Minimum a VB or transgo is in order.

Minimum gauges, Trans temp & Pyro

Last edited:

moose99psd

Reaction score
i believe matt is one of the only companies anymore offering free reburns, i would put my money there.. what he is talking about is live tuning, WAYYYYYYY diffrent you wont (probably) get anywhere near that setup without live tuning.

60powerplant

Reaction score
Yeah I know a live tune is the best! I really don't have anyone close that can live tune. Eric at Innovative diesel. I know he's good with the 6.0s. Haven't hear to much with him and 7.3 tunes?

Latest posts

Members online