Help! Coolant in Oil, Lots

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Well this week I noticed coolant in the oil. I went to do an oil change and found about a gallon of antifreeze in the pan. So I drained the old oil, put in new fluids and let the truck sit.

I let the truck sit all week, didn't run it. Noticed the coolant bottle was empty, again.
Opened up the oil drain plug and out came another gallon of antifreeze.
So coolant is getting in the pan at atmospheric pressure.

The motor had a fresh rebuild 2 years ago.

The truck does have a slight haze at idle. Starts and runs fine.

Head Gasket? Crack Somewhere? Timing Cover Cavitations? Oil Cooler? Injector Cup?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
From what I remember. Wouldn't it be more likely to have oil in coolant if it was the cooler? Due to pressure differences?
Or would that not matter?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

golfer

Reaction score
unfortunately...it's likely the block.

drain everything from oil pan...leave drain plug out.

pressurize cooling system with block heater plugged into help expand the casting...

bar the engine over slowly to see if there is a point at which 'a' piston covers the crack (putting coolant on piston top, instead of out the oil plug drain).

pull 8 glow plugs...bump starter to identify cylinder with coolant issue...

replace engine, LOL

you can do other diag to THAT cylinder, by pressurizing through the glow plug hole, and then barring engine over...but at the end of the day...if moving the position of the pistons changes the leak from the oil pan...it's the block.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I just had a very similar issue. Pulled the oil cooler and the o-rings and gaskets looked good. Found that compression wasn't so great anyway so I pulled the motor. Tore it down and for the life of me can't find any fractures in the block. When I pulled the oil cooler there was a chunk of silicone in the cooler and it looks like it came from a half ass job of someone sealing the front cover. This was cylinder number 8 in my motor
20160704_182613.jpg

Latest posts

Members online