Help, melted intake manifold, high CAC temps, Code P026a

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I was thinking it could be the wheels/tires, but plenty people run them with no issues. Something just isn't right with the temps for sure. Creating that heat is either all inside the turbo or the boost is not being cooled correctly. Holding 7psi boost shouldn't cause that kind of high heat holding that long in the system. As you drive the coolant should bring the temps down.

BTW I was thinking about reading the secondary coolant temp but I recall the sensor is on the passenger side. This wouldn't help knowing what's going on with the side feeding the CAC. How do the transmission temps look?

Wrecker

Reaction score
I was thinking it could be the wheels/tires, but plenty people run them with no issues. Something just isn't right with the temps for sure. Creating that heat is either all inside the turbo or the boost is not being cooled correctly. Holding 7psi boost shouldn't cause that kind of high heat holding that long in the system. As you drive the coolant should bring the temps down.

BTW I was thinking about reading the secondary coolant temp but I recall the sensor is on the passenger side. This wouldn't help knowing what's going on with the side feeding the CAC. How do the transmission temps look?

Trans temps run right with oil temps cause they moved it to the primary system on the 17’s. My fuel rail temps sit at 125-130 towing so those seem in check with the secondary system temps.

Wrecker

Reaction score
Hooked up to the toy hauler this afternoon and pulled 70mi across some good hills at 80mph to work everything pretty hard and get some temp data and verify it with a temp gun.

17k lbs 43' Toyhauler
Tyrant tow tune
Pulling 80mph
85 deg outside temp
4500' elevation at the lowest, not sure what i got up to on all the hills

Cruising on flat ground here's my numbers,
2000rpm, 6th gear
1000deg egt
20psi boost
113 IAT
203 CACT
125 Fuel rail temp

Pulling good size grades
70-75mph, 5th gear
1350-1400deg egt, adjusted throttle to keep it under 1400
30psi boost
150-190 IAT
215 CACT, this stays pegged at 215 and won't read any higher, hit's 215 with first acceleration and stays pegged a while after everything else is cooling after cresting the hills
127 fuel rail temp

Half way through the trip pulled into a rest stop that was at the top a good size hill where temps were nice and hot. Took a couple min to get off and park and get the temp gun out to check stuff so everything was cooling off at idle for a couple min before these temps and dropping quickly as I was checking things.

Compressor housing of turbo - 370deg
hot side pipe couple inched past turbo boot - 330deg
Cold side pipe right out of CAC - 240deg
Intake pipeing at the Y - 220deg
Air intake pipe - 210deg

From these temps it makes perfect sense why the powder coat on the hot side pipe is discoloring and melting, it's only baked on at 400deg in the first place. If the compressor housing itself is 370 the air inside has got to be hitting well over 400 pulling hard. This time the factory boot off the turbo started melting slightly and squeezing out under the clamp on the hot pipe.

Question now is it a CAC efficiency issue, turbo issue, completely normal?
The diesel tech at my Ford dealer is leaning towards a CAC problem or restriction. Seems odd that a brand new NL intercooler would have that issue though. Funny thing is i never got a CEL this time with the usual P026a code, might have been because I let the truck idle for quite a while before I started driving while hooking up the toy hauler.

Last edited:

Wrecker

Reaction score
Pic of boot starting to melt

Attachments

• 353D4E84-A3B1-446A-8B42-963CE066CA44.jpg
    353D4E84-A3B1-446A-8B42-963CE066CA44.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 130

Wrecker

Reaction score
Maybe a bad thermostat in the secondary system?

I think the thermostat is good, temps go back down the 120 mark along with fuel rail temp so that’s just above t stat temp.

I just dropped it off at Ford for them to look over everything, thankfully I’m good friends with the GM and service managers so they don’t care about all the aftermarket stuff.

Wrecker

Reaction score
What looks odd from the numbers I posted is why my IAT are almost 200deg when I’m in the throttle on every hill. Seems like the intake is only sucking in air right off the radiator when the rpm’s are up and the fan kicks in

Bigdiesel

Reaction score
What looks odd from the numbers I posted is why my IAT are almost 200deg when I’m in the throttle on every hill. Seems like the intake is only sucking in air right off the radiator when the rpm’s are up and the fan kicks in
Did you ever get this resolved my 2016 f350 with proven SOTF and weight loss egr just unplugged is having the same issue CAC temps are almost 200f causing P026a code when I get into the throttle or towing. I've replaced both stats cleaned the CAC, verified CAC temp sensor calibration, have coolant flow through the intercooler and don't seem to be losing coolant. I'm at a total loss on what to check next.

Latest posts

Members online