Help With EGT issues. Checked everything, i think

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Alright guys, Recently switched to Gear head tunes on a hydra. Like the tunes, But im having egt issues, which i had with dp tunes before. I've always felt like this truck has run hot in the egt side of things.

I couldnt even maintain 70 on flat level ground here in florida towing my 31 ft contender with triple axle trailer. Weigh in prob about 10-12k. Egts would get into the 1200* range. truck couldnt maintain it without down shifting. Ended up just locking out overdrive and running 60 mph at 7-8 psi at 950-1000*. Pyro is mounted in the typical drivers side manifold. Truck sits at 800 cruising at 70 at 2-3psi

What i have done: checked numerous times for up pipe leaks....none.
No sign of oil on the boots, built a boost leak detector, nada leaking.
bellowed up pipes, turbo master clamped shut etc etc

I can hit 35 psi on the street tune, 25 on the tow/economy that matt sent from his personal tunes.

WHAT ELSE DO I CHECK???!! Also, no smoke, barely a puff. :biggun:

im sick and tired of keeping my eyes glued to the egt gauge!!!!!

Help a brother out. Thanks

Barnhartal

Reaction score
Might try another pyro/gauge like was suggested on the other forum.

Another thing and I hate to bring it up is low compression can also cause high egts although mine which is low I know, throws extra smoke along with having higher egts than other guys with similar setups.

Just throwing things out there.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Who's tune, and what tune are you using?

Have you actually checked the entire system for boost leaks? (Not just an inspection)

Honestly.... that heavy of a trailer, and aerodynamic as a barn... I'd say don't go 70.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
gearheads tow heavy tune, yes hooked up a boost leak detector and sprayed soapy water all over everything, zero foaming

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
didnt check the plenums... hmmm! ill have to do that. And nope dont really see any signs of leakage on the manifolds, although kinda hard to tell with a black block...

alradco

Reaction score
Where are you measuring the EGT's? Flat pulling my 38' Toyhauler my EGTs are no where near that. But if the truck has ALWAYS ran hot like you said, maybe the probe is in the wrong spot if you can't find anything wrong. Kind of pie in the sky but throwing it out there as an idea to check.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I pulled our 24 foot race trailer which is 10000 loaded with my 02. Rolled right on with it in matts hot street tune. So is probably similar power with my setup in that as your tow tune. Hottest i could get it pushing it was 1300. 65mph and around 1000 degree Flat towing. Make sure none of the manifold bolts are broken.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
have the pyro mounted in the drivers side manifold where diesel manor has the instructions to mount it. Hate to say it but this thing ran the best on my old superchips and 285 tires. Every time i look at the gauge i get more and more irritated. Would a Bad map sensor cause all this? I dont have any broken manifold bolts or anything and no codes

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
In Matt's tow tune, pulling 10k or more it will not exceed 12-1200*. What size tires are you running, and is it lifted?

Lang

Reaction score
have the pyro mounted in the drivers side manifold where diesel manor has the instructions to mount it. Hate to say it but this thing ran the best on my old superchips and 285 tires. Every time i look at the gauge i get more and more irritated. Would a Bad map sensor cause all this? I dont have any broken manifold bolts or anything and no codes

Replied on the other thread as well... How long have you had the probe in? Has it always ran hot?

Latest posts

Members online