hg job parts list / tips

slc6oh

Reaction score
gonna start collecting parts to do my hg job, anyone that's done it wanna check my list of **** to buy / give tips / advise would be appreciated.

as I don't have a lift ill just use my overhead crane and pull the engine. Bud just did his with the engine in the truck and EFFFF that. haha

- heads checked/decked for flatness
- oem gaskets
- arp studs
- 6.4 (updated) push tubes
- injector o rings
- oil rail o rings?
- what am I missing?
- do I hit the new gaskets with copper coat before installing?

--- stc fitting updated, cooler welded shut, 4mo oil cooler w/ coolant filter, so all that's up to date as of now.....

crazy as ill get is a s362 on stock or SLIGHTLY larger than stock sticks. and MAYBE some spray for the extra little kick at the track or whatever... so im also wondering if fire ringd heads will be worth the extra dough or not.

any pointers would be sweet. thanks guys.

:ford:

04stroker

Reaction score
Looks like you got pretty much all the necessities covered other than just misc seals and gaskets. I usually do not use any copper spray just make sure everything is super clean and flat and torqued properly should be good to go.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Egr cooler gaskets, turbo mount hardware, in/ex mani gaskets, up pipe hardware, glow plug harnesses,

Will heads need to be stripped to be checked/decked? If so then ill need steam seals at minimum id assume?

78f100

Reaction score
Rocker box gaskets, stand pipes, dummy plugs, and intake gaskets is all I see not listed, most of the misc gaskets you need should come with the other parts you have listed. Like all the turbo gaskets come with the sct update kit.
No on the copper coat.

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
For what its worth this is our parts list as a base line.
-OEM head gaskets
-OEM intake gaskets
-OEM Turbo install kit
-Fel pro exhaust manifold gaskets(better than OEM in my opinion)
-OEM Stand pipe and dummy plug kit
-Studs
-Belt
-Tensioner
-Idler bearings 6303 x2
-Injector seal kits (Alliant ap0002 x8
-CCV oring (cause it's prob broken!)

I think that's about it. We usually do the EGR conversion and oil cooler but sounds like your good there.

Make sure to deck heads even if they measure ok. Good peace of mind to work with a fresh surface.

Have fun!

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Not something that people normally check, but since you will have heads off, for peace of mind, pull the lifters out and inspect the rollers. Make sure there are no flat spots, needles missing. Something simple that may save you from a catastrophic failure down the road.

Edit - trying to remember, not sure if you can pull the rear 8 out without removing the branch tube. That's a lot of extra work. Maybe just check the front 8

Last edited:

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
Not something that people normally check, but since you will have heads off, for peace of mind, pull the lifters out and inspect the rollers. Make sure there are no flat spots, needles missing. Something simple that may save you from a catastrophic failure down the road.

Edit - trying to remember, not sure if you can pull the rear 8 out without removing the branch tube. That's a lot of extra work. Maybe just check the front 8

Yes wouldn't hurt. Also forgot to ask from original post. 6.4 push tubes? They are not interchangeable unless you just mean going to an aftermarket upgraded set like RCD or something.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
It's not really an upgrade to get 6.4 push rods. Ford just doesn't make 6.0 pushrods anymore. If you order one for a 6.0, changes up to 6.4 part number.

Don't see a reason to change pushrods unless you want to upgrade. Only time I've seen a 6.0/6.4 bend a pushrod in a stock, slightly modified setup is when a lifter fails, or once when someone installed one incorrectly.

Extra arp lube, studs usually only come with two tiny packages in the stud kit.

Last edited:

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
It's not really an upgrade to get 6.4 push rods. Ford just doesn't make 6.0 pushrods anymore. If you order one for a 6.0, changes up to 6.4 part number.

Don't see a reason to change pushrods unless you want to upgrade. Only time I've seen a 6.0/6.4 bend a pushrod in a stock, slightly modified setup is when a lifter fails, or once when someone installed one incorrectly.

I agree, I have never replaced pushrods unless going to an upgraded set. For the price difference I wouldn't put stock ones in if you are replacing them.

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
Egr cooler gaskets, turbo mount hardware, in/ex mani gaskets, up pipe hardware, glow plug harnesses,

Will heads need to be stripped to be checked/decked? If so then ill need steam seals at minimum id assume?

Depends where you take your heads. Some shops will deck them with the valves in and others won't. If the valves are coming out for sure replace seals as they are cheap and you are in there anyways.

slc6oh

Reaction score
I agree, I have never replaced pushrods unless going to an upgraded set. For the price difference I wouldn't put stock ones in if you are replacing them.

Good to know, i was just under the impression that the 6.4 tubes had better ends and were slightly slightly shorter, then thinking if any material is removed that bit of difference in length would help keep (one of the rocker or lifter pre load) down... I cant remember where i read it but i did read something bout the 6.0 tube being a ch on the long side factory. But maybe i need to not worry bout it

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Yes the 6.4 push rods are shorter, can't recall exact measurements, but yea CH is close enough haha. As far as better ends, 6.4's are copper coated on the rocker arm side. Couldn't tell you why. You are not wrong, decking the heads and changing the rods would keep everything in check, but it's not necessary. If heads are being cleaned up, hopefully only a minimal surfacing is being done. Not technically supposed to clean them up, but have done it without issue.

Latest posts

Members online