Higher Mileage 6.0

tyreguy25

Reaction score
Hey, I have a few questions. While I am predominantly looking for an OBS truck, there is a dealer here with an 03 F-250 with the 6.0 for a good price for the 4x4, ECLB, automatic, XLT. The downside to this truck is the 3 dents in it, which aren't major and the mileage. It has 243k on the clock. I was curious what you would pay for this truck and what I would need to ask and look for prior to purchase, to make sure I am not going to be driving a ticking time bomb. I read in Diesel Power (first problem) why 6.0s fail and I understand the EGR gets clogged, oil cooler gets gummed up and other small issues that snowball into a major rebuild of the mill. Is there anything in particular one should look for and make sure was done before purchasing this truck? Thank you!

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
U could do a search and this has been listed many times, but I can help with a few. First all 6.0s are ticking time bombs. If u want to know if it's studded, look on passenger side head, front right. If you see a hex head it stock bolts, if it's a threaded stud with a nut, it has studs. To check for egr delete u can see if the cooler is there by looking on passenger side between the valve cover and manifold. check for blowby coming out of dipstick. Any oil leaks from under engine, look at degas bottle. Any white residue means coolant coming out. Which is either over filling or popped head gaskets. Also look in degas bottle and see how coolant looks, no oil in it. If they will do it ask them to do an oil change and u look at oil to make sure it's not milky looking. That's main things I've known.

Atsah

Reaction score
That truck is worth about 6 grand tops up here and that's if you could sell it at all.. I have an 03 CCLB dually with 170K and I can't sell it and it's in good shape.. I would look for something else.. IMO, buying a 6.0 with that many miles is a bad idea unless you have lots of money and mechanical ability..

yeehaw

Reaction score
i just traded my 06 in with 163k on it, beat to hell but it runs great but yea there is better trucks out there all up to what you want and feel comfortable with

Mud digger

Reaction score
U could do a search and this has been listed many times, but I can help with a few. First all 6.0s are ticking time bombs. If u want to know if it's studded, look on passenger side head, front right. If you see a hex head it stock bolts, if it's a threaded stud with a nut, it has studs. To check for egr delete u can see if the cooler is there by looking on passenger side between the valve cover and manifold. check for blowby coming out of dipstick. Any oil leaks from under engine, look at degas bottle. Any white residue means coolant coming out. Which is either over filling or popped head gaskets. Also look in degas bottle and see how coolant looks, no oil in it. If they will do it ask them to do an oil change and u look at oil to make sure it's not milky looking. That's main things I've known.
This is a stupid question I know, but when looking to see if it's studded do I have to pull the valve cover? Or is there something I'm missing here. You make it sound like I can just pop the hood and look. If I can just pop the hood and look can you point me in a little better direction, to check. Thanks a lot!!

Jhaddox

Reaction score
All the way at the back of the drivers side head, at the bottom, there is one head bolt there if its a 12 point with a stud and nut it's studded if it's just a bolt head it's not

I'll try to find a picture to help explain it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petro

Reaction score
he really could have made it any more clear, Just look right where he said to when you pop the hood and you will see what he is saying.