How long to change evaporator core?

Jake

Reaction score
My evaporator core is so plugged up. I'm going to replace it. Any ideas on how long? Do any of y'all have any tips?

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you cant get at it under the hood you may have to take the dash out to get to it. I can have the dash out in anhour or two and take all thatvshti apart in another hour.

I have a feeling a shop will get ten hours or more to do it and ut'll be about 1200 bucks. Id go have the dystem vacuumed first.

Jake

Reaction score
I am hoping that I can get it all under the hood, it looks like I can. I will evac the system into a drum. No point in putting the vac pump on it as I will loose that when I open the system. I am tired of barely any airflow, the evap core is NASTY, and I have tried to clean it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I meant to cacuum it down to catch the refrigerant. The vacuum is a byproduct of removing the 134.

We all know how most refrigerant is evacuated.

Jomax

Reaction score
Removed the glove box and you can see a panel that is removable, I don't think you need the dash removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake

Reaction score
I have gear at work to recover it. Luckily we have some r134 chillers and can use the recovery gear. I hope I can swap it out in a few hours.

uncool

Reaction score
There are about a dozen screws on the outside cover of the core. Once you find them all, the cover just kind of lifts out of the way. Pull the MAP sensor bracket and the bracket that has two bolts to the cab. Once you disconnect the lines the core lifts/slides out of the housing. I used black, 100% silicone to seal around the lines when I did mine. The plastic can be brittle, so don't get too rough with it.

Look at the 7th post.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...eHD8UiE39KdqYX3QB7KPj0JA&ust=1464094351737994

Last edited:

Jake

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah I have already busted a hole in the box at some point in time. I think that's how all the junk got sucked into it. I have not been able to find another box.

Arisley

Reaction score
You can fix the box with a fiberglass repair kit. Hell, you could do a perfectly acceptable job with some duct tape and epoxy glue.

Jake

Reaction score
The fiberglass has crossed my mind. I foil taped the chit out of it last year. Hopefully I'll be doing it next Sunday.

Jake

Reaction score
Well I got it swapped out, couple hour job except for the spring clip at the orifice tube is whipping my ass. I can't get it back together.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.