How much water is to much?

Reaction score
Currently I have a cooling mist setup with two 250psi pumps each feeding a CM12 nozzle, which according to the website flows ~14gph. That theoretically should give me a total flow of ~28gph at full flow. System is setup with a progressive controller with the first stage beginning flow at 12psi of boost and ramps flow until 28psi where the second stage comes on at full flow. The first stage injects preintercooler about 6in from inlet and the second stage injects post intercooler about 12in from y pipe.

With my current setup 400/400s, big turbo, headers, cam, headwork, ect. The water injection won't even touch the egts with the current 2 nozzle setup at wot.

After talking with cooling mist I was told each pump would supply a CM12 (~14gph) and a CM7(~10gph). If I add another CM7 nozzle to each stage giving me two CM12s and two CM7s giving me theoretically a total flow of ~48gph at full flow.

My question is would this be to much water to inject without risking engine damage? This would only be used for competition use (sled pulling and drag racing). I'm sure it would be better to add more water slower say adding one nozzle per stage or starting with smaller nozzles but at nearly $40 a pop I don't want a bunch of extra nozzles laying around.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
You wanting this for competition use? If so throw the coiling
Mist kit in the trash and get something more I pressure like the hmax setup.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
If I am understanding correctly, you are injecting one stage @ 12psi pre-CAC and a second stage @28psi post-CAC?
I would either reverse the stages, or move both nozzle post-CAC.
At 12 psi I doubt you have the CFM flow or heat necessary to retain vapor through the CAC.
Also, if you are injecting any methanol at all it is going to wreak havoc on the aluminum CAC.

Reaction score
You wanting this for competition use? If so throw the coiling
Mist kit in the trash and get something more I pressure like the hmax setup.

Yes competition use. Im trying to work with what i have for the rest of the season. What kind of pressure does the hmax setup operate?

If I am understanding correctly, you are injecting one stage @ 12psi pre-CAC and a second stage @28psi post-CAC?
I would either reverse the stages, or move both nozzle post-CAC.
At 12 psi I doubt you have the CFM flow or heat necessary to retain vapor through the CAC.
Also, if you are injecting any methanol at all it is going to wreak havoc on the aluminum CAC.

Yes one stage pre CAC and one stage post CAC both stages are the same flow. The 12 psi doesnt really matter i could set the stage to come on at 30psi to have the effect that i am after. Once past 10psi it will see 60+ the remainder of the pull or race so the cfm flow will be there.

Currently running straight water for cooling but i have ran meth in the past on a smaller setup and not seen any ill effects on the CAC?

Any amount of menthol?

Not currently have in the past but running straight water for cooling purposes currently

Reaction score
Why would moving both stages to the y pipe make that much difference. When I originally bought the kit from Swamps I was told to set it up like this for the best cooling

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I would think that a lot of your moisture is getting lost in the intercooler. It is a lot easier for air to twist and turn through the intercooler than it is for water to.

I would try moving both nozzles post intercooler and see if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
I'm sure the amount of air going threw the CAC moves most of the water. It should cool the air as well. I may try moving both to post CAC and see the effect.
But my original question how much water can I inject safely at 60+lbs of boost?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
If its not killing the fire, its not too much.

I ran one nozzle post IC at 8-10psi, a second at 20psi, and one more at 30psi pre-ic when I was running a lot of water.

Reaction score
Is there ever a point of risking hydrolocking the motor with water? My thinking is theoretically the water should vaporize in the CAC pipes, heads, and cylinders before the piston will reach tdc. Also what are yalls opinion on adding a little meth say 10-15% by volume to give it that little edge?

I could set one stage to come on at 20 psi and another stage to come at at 30 psi. For what im doing it would really be irrelevant because once past 15psi its 60+ till the end.

Arisley

Reaction score
When the water vaporizes, it takes up a lot more room than when it is liquid. When the piston travels up during the compression stroke, it squeezes all that steam back into water. The boiling point of water raises when you compress it. If you put to much in, it will hydrolock. I bet a hydrolock at 3500 RPM's is pretty fascinating to watch.

Reaction score
When the water vaporizes, it takes up a lot more room than when it is liquid. When the piston travels up during the compression stroke, it squeezes all that steam back into water. The boiling point of water raises when you compress it. If you put to much in, it will hydrolock. I bet a hydrolock at 3500 RPM's is pretty fascinating to watch.

Iv be sure to video it :thumbup: On a serious note that is exactly what i want to avoid as to why i would like to know how much water is too much?

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
I've always known it to put the nozzles as close to the engine as possible, hence the Y pipe. All the pics I've seen of the super stock pullers have them that way and they also run 6-700 psi and use 1-1.5 gallons per run. How much water are you actually using during a pull? Like was said if your not putting the fire out then your still ok. After rereading that you running 2 pumps, I would move your preintercooler line into the Y an see if that helps.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
As I said before, if your not putting the fire out, your fine. I only had one nozzle pre-IC, and I used mine 99% of the time for towing. On hard pulls the IC will get heat soaked, with that one nozzle coming on at higher boost levels it will help lower the heat soak effect on the IC... For pulling, you could remove the IC all together and more then likely pick up HP.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
:whs: if pulling and dragging is all your gonna do, your best bet would be to drop the IC for an A2W if the rules allow it.

mandkole

Reaction score
At the road speed reached in a pull, why is anyone using an IC? Why not just bypass it and run the water/meth only.

Latest posts

Members online