HP # to hold 3rd gear while sled pulling

bigfords

Reaction score
Obviously there are going to be a lot of other factors like traction, track conditions, gear ratios, etc. but can any experienced sled pullers tell me about how much HP it takes to pull strong while in Drive with the TC locked up?

I know before I had injectors and just a tune the truck did pretty well while in 2nd with the TC locked up. That was on a full 300 ft track.

(If this should be in the sled pulling section, mods can move it)

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Subbed.

Tracks out here are usually in the rodeo arena/ soft sandy dirt, and no matter the prep its always loose . When I pulled last year ( dyno tune) it locked at full throttle , @ 406 hp I was in 2nd, then was hitting rev limiter, so I bumped into D and it lugged bad ...

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

bigfords

Reaction score
crap, I guess I won't be doing that then. I'll probably be settling in the 500-550 range when its all said and done. Should I just stick with 2nd with TC locked and try and turn a higher RPM? I would only be doing the local stuff at county fairs and what not.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
crap, I guess I won't be doing that then. I'll probably be settling in the 500-550 range when its all said and done. Should I just stick with 2nd with TC locked and try and turn a higher RPM? I would only be doing the local stuff at county fairs and what not.

What's the thought on 3rd unlocked ? TC toaster ?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

bigfords

Reaction score
Not only the heat, but the lack of power to the ground in my opinion.

superstroker99

Reaction score
spot on... I agree 700 or better for 3rd tc locked. seems like a huge gear change between 2nd and 3rd. BUT!!! i have found that 1st gear in 4hi splits it. Higher than 2nd in 4lo and lower than 3rd 4lo my truck loves 1st gear TC locked

JD3020

Reaction score
spot on... I agree 700 or better for 3rd tc locked. seems like a huge gear change between 2nd and 3rd. BUT!!! i have found that 1st gear in 4hi splits it. Higher than 2nd in 4lo and lower than 3rd 4lo my truck loves 1st gear TC locked

I've thought about trying 1hi, but been told to stick to low range as its easier on the driveline. :dunno:

I pulled 2low, unlocked, and was running on the limiter the whole way down the track. Was gonna try to grab 3rd but i had no suspension stops or bars so i didn't wanna try it. Gonna try 2low locked next time i pull, and maybe grab 3rd.

Also a big thing to take into consideration is how your truck is set-up. I weighed in at 6600lbs, rear tires aired up to 75psi, and fronts down to 40. So i was lacking big time in the traction department, but thats what i was going for at that pull.

Reaction score
I can pull third tc locked with 3.73s and 33s all the way down the track then unlock the converter at the end and spin out. Holds about 3000 rpms down the track. That is at about 600 hp. Going to be stepping up the charger soon hopefully be able to hold third locked all the way down the track

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

mattman347

Reaction score
Mine is not set up to hook, I just do it for fun so I would say it could hook up better. It hooks up enough to get the sled moving.:D

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Good to know.. On a Tight track my truck hooks to hard to lock the converter sometimes. But if the track is a little loose i can lock it an it competes with some tough trucks when I can do that.

bigfords

Reaction score
I've thought about trying 1hi, but been told to stick to low range as its easier on the driveline. :dunno:

I pulled 2low, unlocked, and was running on the limiter the whole way down the track. Was gonna try to grab 3rd but i had no suspension stops or bars so i didn't wanna try it. Gonna try 2low locked next time i pull, and maybe grab 3rd.

Also a big thing to take into consideration is how your truck is set-up. I weighed in at 6600lbs, rear tires aired up to 75psi, and fronts down to 40. So i was lacking big time in the traction department, but thats what i was going for at that pull.

If I was you, I would definitely try just locking in 2nd first. Then the following pull if you think you can grab 3rd give it a try. Having that converter locked makes a pretty big difference in my experience.

What RPMs are you guys shooting for going down the track? With a typical stock engine with Comp 910s and headstuds.

Latest posts

Members online