HPO system questions

chpprguy

Reaction score
I have an 04 truck.
I believe the engine is a mix of years , I say this because I have an early style HPO pump, but the "wavy" style rails.

I know I need to pull the pump cover and check the fitting at the pump to see if it needs updating. Do I need to replace the stand pipes or just the seals?
(I also plan to replace the nipple seals in the rail and polish the nipples and the injector HPO inlet seals)

Is there anything I am missing?
I have searched, but it's a little confusing as it seems I have half of one year and half of another.

One last question.
Why not block the factory inlet ports in the rail and run the HPO lines external only? (like the elite diesel add on system) if the factory system is so leak prone?

the engine is out of the truck as I had to do heads/studs/rebuild turbo, etc

Thanks for any insight
Andy

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
with the mixed year oil system, you wont have the STC fitting that would need updating, that's only on the 05+ style pumps. you can replace seals under the oil feed tube off the pump to the branch tube

as far as the stand pipes, I would replace them If you have the entire truck apart, they will come with your new head gaskets if you get them from ford.

chpprguy

Reaction score
with the mixed year oil system, you wont have the STC fitting that would need updating, that's only on the 05+ style pumps. you can replace seals under the oil feed tube off the pump to the branch tube

as far as the stand pipes, I would replace them If you have the entire truck apart, they will come with your new head gaskets if you get them from ford.

Thank you,
with new standpipes and seals, is the system pretty robust?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Don't forget to replace the dummy tubes while you are under there as well. They are much more leak prone than the stand pipes as they block the oil off instead of letting it flow through. When you have the pump cover off and are resealing the hi pressure pump, inspect the seal behind the gear, it should sit flush with the pump body, if it is sticking out at all replace the pump. Also you should check and see if there is a check ball in the drivers side of the pump, about mid way from front to rear, if there is just a hole, replace it. The check ball looks like a large ball from a ball bearing.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Don't forget to replace the dummy tubes while you are under there as well. They are much more leak prone than the stand pipes as they block the oil off instead of letting it flow through. When you have the pump cover off and are resealing the hi pressure pump, inspect the seal behind the gear, it should sit flush with the pump body, if it is sticking out at all replace the pump. Also you should check and see if there is a check ball in the drivers side of the pump, about mid way from front to rear, if there is just a hole, replace it. The check ball looks like a large ball from a ball bearing.

^this

chpprguy

Reaction score
Thank you for the tips.
I'll pull the cover this weekend and inspect the pump and replace standpipes and dummy plugs, I don't wish to do this twice.
If you think of anything else, please let me know

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.