Hpop cover gasket

cory99

Reaction score
Just wanted to double check, swapping a motor into an 01 that came from a 96. Going to swap everything over but on the HPOP reservoir gasket i need to be using the non-screened version for the 96 even though putting the 01 reservoir on to mount fuel bowl to correct?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Yeah. The 96 cover needs the non screen gasket. You'll crack the front cover if you don't. I put the newer cover on my 96 just so I could have the screen.

cory99

Reaction score
Yeah just wanting to swap the reservoir over not whole cover since he doesn't want to do regulated return setup

Magnum PD

Reaction score
That's fine. You also would need to change the oil pickup tube.

cory99

Reaction score
Thanks maybe I'll get him talked into a regulated return then going through all that.

m j

Reaction score
That's fine. You also would need to change the oil pickup tube.

this is not making sense to me..you mean the one in the pan that goes to the front cover he isnt changing?
does the rez swap from a 01 on to a 96 front cover? and if it does what gasket?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
The OBS and the SD timing cover uses different oil pickup tubes for each. I bought a SD timing cover for my OBS engine. I wanted the screen for my HPOP for my build but also had to purchase the oil pickup tube to go with it the newer cover. The Rez for both will fit each other no problem. But the SD o ring gasket that has the screen built into it will only fit the SD timing cover. Putting the SD gasket on a OBS front cover will not work. It'll crack the OBS cover.

Make sense?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The OBS and the SD timing cover uses different oil pickup tubes for each. I bought a SD timing cover for my OBS engine. I wanted the screen for my HPOP for my build but also had to purchase the oil pickup tube to go with it the newer cover. The Rez for both will fit each other no problem. But the SD o ring gasket that has the screen built into it will only fit the SD timing cover. Putting the SD gasket on a OBS front cover will not work. It'll crack the OBS cover.

Make sense?

Almost.....

In '97, the timing covers were re-designed. The '97 (still OBS) uses a SD pick up tube. The pre-97 oil pick up tube is on the driver side and the later years on the passenger side. Also with timing cover change, the front oil cooler header gasket was changed. Also, he '95 timing cover is a different.

All this info is inside the 7.3 Coffee Table Book. :jammin:

Billy T.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online