Hpop question

Reaction score
Have an 05 that died on me at work. I changed the oil Thursday night, drove it for 5 miles then, went to work Friday, around 30 miles. Everything ran fine, no extended cranks on the two start ups. Around noon went to go grab lunch and it just cranks. Fuel pressure is fine ( 62psi) ficm is a swamps 58 that shows a solid 48v on ae. Ipr jumps to 85% icp wont get above 440 psi.

I pulled the ipr and the screen was 50% clogged with small black pieces. Truck is in a parking lot and I don't have any way to apply air to check for leaks. Stand pipes, dummy plugs and stc fittings were done around 50k miles ago when injectors were done.

Leaving towards hpop pump going but wanted some other opinions.

Thanks

Reaction score
The pump /motor have around 210k on them. I pulled the turbo because my fuel return lines ran right in front of the ipr plus don't have a socket for it. I'd there any way to tell with the pump out. Just hate to put it all back together and have to do it all again. Don't want to pay 600 for a new pump of its not needed either.

Reaction score
Ok I put a brand new ipr in and no change. Pulled the hpop since the ipr was clogged with stuff thinking maybe the pump seals were coming apart and changed with a new Ford unit. Still no change. Put a gauge on the low pressure and oil pressure build to a little over 20 psi while cranking. Went through the wiring and can't find any chaffing. What next?

sootie

Reaction score
what happens if you unplug the icp sensor and try cranking

Reaction score
Little update- got air on it and found a couple small leaks. Did orings on all injectors, including the top hpo, the orings on the oil rails. Put it back together and tested again before putting the valve covers on and found a big leak around injector 5. Pulled the rail and put another set of orings on it and it was still leaking. Pulled the rail Again and swapped the oil nipple from 1 to 5 and all had the same leak. Pulled the injector and swapped to another cylinder and still had the same leak. Put in new stand pipes and dummy plugs for the hell of it. What am I missing? Has anyone had a rail crack or leak.

SleeperDuty

Reaction score
Interesting same thing sort of happened to me. drove truck last Wednesday ran great then Thursday it cranked and that was it. I went out of town came back and just on a whim hoped it would fire up...it didn't. For whatever reason I walked back out of my house and glanced underneath the truck to see an 18'' diameter oil puddle. I think its hpop related as it cranked but it never sounded like the injectors were firing.

Reaction score
So I pulled the rail back out and put an old dummy plug in the stand pipe hole, called of the ball tube except the one feeding # 5 and put shop air to it. I shoved the injector into the nipple and with 50#'s of air it was leaving out the top of the injector. I tried it with another injector, which also had a new o ring up top, and it still leaked. No visible damage to the ball tube. Could a high pressure leak wear the metal nipple down enough to make it not seal? Orings for the injector top were allied. Guess I'll order a new ball tube and try again.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to light this thing on fire. New hpop, ipr, stand pipes, dummy plugs, injector orings, new nipple and orings on the rail, and I still can't build any pressure. Swapped ficm for the heck of it with no change. No smoke out the tail pipe. I've got 12 volts at the ipr when key is in, 6ish when cranking. Build up to 40 pounds on the low pressure side. With shop air I got all the leaks fixed but now that it's back together I have one small leak, a high pitch whine.

Ill track that one leak down but I don't think it's big enough to keep it from starting. What else can keep it from building pressure? Is there anything on the electric side? I've said what I have on the ipr, icp shouldn't keep it from starting.

webb06

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to light this thing on fire. New hpop, ipr, stand pipes, dummy plugs, injector orings, new nipple and orings on the rail, and I still can't build any pressure. Swapped ficm for the heck of it with no change. No smoke out the tail pipe. I've got 12 volts at the ipr when key is in, 6ish when cranking. Build up to 40 pounds on the low pressure side. With shop air I got all the leaks fixed but now that it's back together I have one small leak, a high pitch whine.

Ill track that one leak down but I don't think it's big enough to keep it from starting. What else can keep it from building pressure? Is there anything on the electric side? I've said what I have on the ipr, icp shouldn't keep it from starting.

Is icp registering at all? Do you have some kind of scanner to read data?

When cranking what psi does icp build to before it levels off?

Reaction score
Using ae it wouldn't build beyond 350 when the truck first went down. Got a new computer last week cause the other one broke and ae won't recognize the ford bundle code so I'm with out a scanner for a bit. I have the torque app on my phone but not sure how accurate it is. I did check with that and icp was at 0 and never budged so I need to check those pids.

webb06

Reaction score
Using ae it wouldn't build beyond 350 when the truck first went down. Got a new computer last week cause the other one broke and ae won't recognize the ford bundle code so I'm with out a scanner for a bit. I have the torque app on my phone but not sure how accurate it is. I did check with that and icp was at 0 and never budged so I need to check those pids.

I guess it's got oil in it? And you have 40 psi on the low side right?

Reaction score
Ae told me 350 on the side of the road the day it broke down. Shop air showed a couple leaks, a big one on cylinder 5 between the injector and rail. . Fixed the leaks but don't have. Ae at the moment, just the torque app on my phone which shows the ipr jumping to 85% but no icp. Just not sure how much I Believe the $3 app. Monday in calling ae to see if I can get the program working again.

yannie

Reaction score
I had a issue where the ICPS didn't register any wrong doing on a scanner, but we pulled the connector off the ICPS and it started up. Faulty ICPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.