HPOP quick connect leaking after new o rings

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Cousins truck was leaking out of the quick connect, so I pulled it and re-oringed it with o rings from guzzles. Not my first time doing this. He called and said it's leaking from what looks like the threads. So I cruised over and pulled out thinking I didn't use enough loctite. Got it all as clean as I could and let it sit over night. It's still leaking once it warms up he said. What the heck is going on?! The fitting was much stiffer to pull off the hpop the second time due to the lock tight so I know that was sealing. Anyone else have this issue? I didn't crank down on it super hard for fear it would strip like I've read about people doing. Help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Do you have a new o ring for the threaded part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Yep....only thing that wasn't replaced was the fitting itself

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
The instructions said use the provided green loctite

Jomax

Reaction score
The instructions said use the provided green loctite

Yes, but there is also an oring on the threaded part. That's what really seals, the loctite just keeps it from backing out. (I've never used loctite btw)

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Yes, but there is also an oring on the threaded part. That's what really seals, the loctite just keeps it from backing out. (I've never used loctite btw)

Yeah I know that. Not my first rodeo. Replaced three o rings and the snap ring. Everything is new other than the fitting

Jomax

Reaction score
Yeah I know that. Not my first rodeo. Replaced three o rings and the snap ring. Everything is new other than the fitting

Not pointing towards you not Knowing one bit.

The fitting screws into the pump, oring seals, if it's not tight enough, oring will leak.

Only other thing it could be is the orings you installed inside somehow developed a small tear while installing.

I personally stopped rebuilding them. Too much hassle. I just buy the new fitting with new orings and throw it on, done.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
No, but there was oil slowly seeping out of hpop that would've lubed it, when I pulled it off the second time it still looked brand new

mandkole

Reaction score
I don't think so-- an oring does not take that much compression to seal and that sized fitting should only require about 20# torque. Normally they compress and get tight fast. Is the oring the correct size? Id figure that you have the right size, but that fitting is a -5 and not real popular so Ive wondered.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
I don't think so-- an oring does not take that much compression to seal and that sized fitting should only require about 20# torque. Normally they compress and get tight fast. Is the oring the correct size? Id figure that you have the right size, but that fitting is a -5 and not real popular so Ive wondered.
Should be, came with the pack of o rings to rebuild the fittings from diesel o rings. Now I'm starting to think my cousin may have ordered the ones for the cylinder heads, not the hpop. I know they're different sizes. Are the heads bigger or smaller?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.