Hubs and 4WD

Vermonter

Reaction score
So me and my buddy were out riding around in the 6L and decided to do her first boosted launch. I got up to a good amount of boost let go and the tires burned out. I had put the transfer case in 4WD but it was just the rear tires that spun. Then we realized that the hubs were unlocked and once we locked them up it worked like a charm!!

This then led me to start wondering how all this stuff works. I am curious how all the locking hubs and work and how they work together with the 4WD. I have a 05 250 with manual transfer case. The hubs have the switch on them to go from free to locked. What exactly does this do, and what are the benefits of running them locked vs. free. Then when you put it in 4WD do you have to lock the hubs for it to actually work or does it work a little but not enough for launched and what not, I think its the first. Any information on how this all works together would be great.

Thanks

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
With manual transfer case and manual hubs...you have to get out and lock the hubs in by hand for 4wd to work.

You can leave the hubs locked in and drive around while in 2wd...but you are killing your fuel mileage by turning unnecessary parts.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Have you got a xlt or something? Icant even turn my lockers. I just flip the in cab switch haha. The rest of the stuff works like a vacum system to lock in parts, it increases engine load though and waste fuel to turn them if not needed.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Have you got a xlt or something? Icant even turn my lockers. I just flip the in cab switch haha. The rest of the stuff works like a vacum system to lock in parts, it increases engine load though and waste fuel to turn them if not needed.

Wait until the vacuum lock quits..you'll be turning the hubs

Zmann

Reaction score
The ESOF (Electronic Shift On the Fly)works on vacuum pulses at different duration and signal strength to lock and unlock the hubs
the ESOF solenoids tend to fail and any number of seals in the front assemblies can fail

Vermonter

Reaction score
No I have a lariat, but I know a lot of people who get the manual cases because the shift on the fly can fail. So pretty much anytime I want to but it in 4WD I have to get out and turn the hub locker.

TANK'S 250

Reaction score

Like everyone said...the switch is VERY prone to failure...I ordered my truck,...and I made sure I got manual hubs...

Zmann

Reaction score
yup u got to stay on top of the system but dam it's handy

Vermonter

Reaction score
So just out of curiosity what's a ballpark number of how much it would cost to go from a manual to shift on the fly?

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
The way the hubs work in a manual shift or auto is by enguaging the stub shafts at the splines to the wheel or hub. Leaving the hubs locked will result in wear to the front axle bearings, ring and pinion as well as the front drive shaft and tcase. When the system is unlocked on a ford solid axle (dodges and ifs are different) the front drive shaft will not spin nor will the axle. Only the hubs up front. 2 things give you 4wd one is the tcase engaging a drive gear to turn the axle then the hubs to activate the power to the ground. In serious offroad applications when you have a locker (which is uncommon on most trucks) you can unlock a side with the lock outs to make turns and maneuver. That is if you don't have drive flanges (which is some what the design of ifs and dodge truck)

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
So if I have the ESOF and my hubs are in Auto, should the 4wd work when I turn it on? Currently I have to lock the hubs for it to work.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
So if I have the ESOF and my hubs are in Auto, should the 4wd work when I turn it on? Currently I have to lock the hubs for it to work.

It should work in auto and the switch on the dash turned to 4x4 or 4lo. If you have to manually lock the hubs yet have the esof hubs you will likely have the hvac system go to defrost when 4x4 is engauged. This is a sign that there is a vaccum failure. If you do not have the defrost issue then you could have a bad hub, someone could have plugged the vac lines etc. That would be where I would start

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
It should work in auto and the switch on the dash turned to 4x4 or 4lo. If you have to manually lock the hubs yet have the esof hubs you will likely have the hvac system go to defrost when 4x4 is engauged. This is a sign that there is a vaccum failure. If you do not have the defrost issue then you could have a bad hub, someone could have plugged the vac lines etc. That would be where I would start

It has 2 year old Warn premium hubs, the defrost works, and it says 4wd when I turn the switch. I guess I have to look at the vacuum lines.

constantfix

Reaction score
i have the shift on the fly auto-lock. Hasn't worked in a few years, no biggie though. I just get out and manually lock them, turn on the switch in cab and go on my merry way.

Everytime i have extra money to spend to fix it, i find something else to spend my $$ on..

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
On my 04 it was a crap shoot if the esof would work. I don't mind turning the hubs and normally do if I plan to be in 4wd. What irritates me is that if it dosent work it goess to defrost.comming from years of chevy ifs trucks that fail when you need them I will always prefer manual hubs and shift.

Zmann

Reaction score
i have the shift on the fly auto-lock. Hasn't worked in a few years, no biggie though. I just get out and manually lock them, turn on the switch in cab and go on my merry way.

Everytime i have extra money to spend to fix it, i find something else to spend my $$ on..

usually a 70$ solenoid or a 40 dollar oring

if you DIY

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.