I am stumped

Reaction score
This is my buddy's 2006 6.0 powerstroke he bought for cheap. He wanted to get it running for as cheap as possible.

Problems when it came in: would run until hot and then die and had a knock.

Pulled passenger side vc, found #1 rocker broke and replaced. Then went on to icp problem, updated stc fitting. Still wont restart after hot. Truck ran perfectly until until oil temp got up to about 170. Then ICP would drop off and then die. Did a leak test and found small leaks. Replaced dummy plugs and stand pipes. Still same problem. Replaced high pressure oil pump with a known good used one. Replaced injectors with known good ones that I swapped out of another customers truck because he upgraded. Still same problem. Checked low pressure oil, was slow to build oil pressure. Replaced lp oil pump (found some scarring but pump gears were still within specs) and oil cooler. Oil screen was pretty dirty. Changed oil again. Did leak test again with 170 psi of shop air, could not hear any leaks. Restarted truck and fired up pretty quick, everything looked good, ran for about 5 seconds, RPMs came up to about 1100, truck died. Would not restart, ICP was only at 250 while cranking. Every time I tried to start it the ICP got better but would not get over 360. Left for the night, came back this morning, tried starting one more time. ICP came up to 480, let it sit for a second, tried again and truck started but died right away. Tried starting again, ICP now only at 90. Sorry for the long post but need some ideas.
:fustrate:

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
Get a low pressure gauge on it, or see if it will fill the oil filter housing in under 10 seconds with the drain valve closed.

sootie

Reaction score
did you try unplugging the icp sensor and seeing if it ran with the default?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Could be, but the air test shows that it is working @ 100% DC.

Reaction score
I had one that did this same chit about 3 months ago. Ended up being the IPR. Would run till it got to 196* then die and wouldn't restart till it cooled off again. About pulled my hair out on that one. That same truck had been at 3 dealerships and they couldn't figure it out LOL.

Latest posts

Members online