ic keeps blowing off

Jeff

Reaction score
I just recently had to install a new/used y pipe from being cracked. Well now Im having this problem of the lower ic tube keep blowing off. Fyi I purchased the bd diesel ic boots and installed them with those hd clamps they give you. Seems like when I go to get on it, it does a little backfire and blows the tube. Well it sounds like a backfire but could be the ic tube blowing off. Any ideas :shrug:

Mdub707

Reaction score
The lower tube? Which one is that? Passenger side or drivers side? I was just trying to help a guy on DB for a while who keeps having his passenger side tube blow off, every time he rolls into the throttle. He said his is popping out at the turbo connection. He's tried new boots, a banks cooler tube, etc, can't keep it from blowing off.

My recommendation to him after extensive thought process... just take the tube off, have someone (or if you can do it yourself) weld a bead around the end of the tube to "build it up" and that way the clamp/boot shouldn't slide off anymore.

Have you tried a new clamp? Sometimes they max out on tightening down and you can still spin the spring with your fingers.

05wh250

Reaction score
if none of the above fixes your problem you can always try spraying some hair spray on the inside of the boot and putting it on before it drys.

Jeff

Reaction score
passenger side tube sorry lol. Its blowing at the ic side of it. Clamps are really tight. Im gonna try the hairspray trick and see what happens. :shrug:

STROKER

Reaction score
Hair spray usually does the trick make sure the pipe and the boot are oil free too.

4tonGT40

Reaction score
IC boot issue

I just recently had to install a new/used y pipe from being cracked. Well now Im having this problem of the lower ic tube keep blowing off. Fyi I purchased the bd diesel ic boots and installed them with those hd clamps they give you. Seems like when I go to get on it, it does a little backfire and blows the tube. Well it sounds like a backfire but could be the ic tube blowing off. Any ideas :shrug:

Clean the boot inside and dry it down really good. Dust hairspray into the collar let it tack up a little and install it. Should solve your problem. If it doesn't then you may have to have someone install those IC braces.

Keanoknick

Reaction score
If the hairspray doesn't work, try some Parmatex Hi-Tac gasket sealant. It was recommended to me, when I kept blowing them off. Put a thin coat on the tube, and on the inside of the boot (make sure both are clean and oil free first) let it sit for a couple of minutes to tack up, then put it together and clamp it down. I Never had a boot blow again when doing this. Just be careful, that stuff is some sticky sh!t, and does not come off.

Jeff

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies. Sounds like the hairspray or silicone will do the job.

Latest posts

Members online