ICON Track Bar Adjustment

BFinMO

Reaction score
Ok, so I am yet another fully satisfied consumer of the Icon product, fit and finish are top notch! Ride quality is also a nice improvement. Well the leveling kit and adjustable track bar have been installed for approx 300 miles. Per the instructions it states to re-tighten etc after 100 miles. I have yet to do any of this, shame on me, but the track bar has loosened to the point I can rotate it by hand and is giving an audible hey tighten me every time I compress the front end on a bump etc.

Can anyone give me short guidance on how to tighten it until I can get it back for an alignment? I don't want to damage anything until I can get it done.

I would assume it is just rotate the grey intermediate piece on the drivers side, but there are a couple allen heads on it I dont know if I should loosen them or not.

TIA

NotStock

Reaction score
I don't know how their bar works but do not drive the truck until that is tightened. If that comes loose, your axle is going one way and the truck another.

Aaron S

Reaction score
The bar will pivot up and down on the ball joint and the spherical bearing. If thats whats happening, the clunk may be from something else.

Is the large driver side mount bolt loose or is the adjusting collar loose that has the two allen bolts to pinch it and lock it to the threads?

BFinMO

Reaction score
...... or is the adjusting collar loose that has the two allen bolts to pinch it and lock it to the threads?

Yes it is the adjusting collar. Both mounting points are tight as can be. I can rotate the collar slightly by hand just enough to move it.

Do I loosen the two allen heads to tighten it? Or rather, what are those two for?

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing. It was loose at the track bar to frame mount - that big 30mm bolt/nut.
When you tighten the bolt up to 406 ft-lbs it'll tighten the joint and the slop will disappear.
Get a torque wrench on it and tighten the snot out of it.
Red tag the truck until you get at least a breaker bar on this and tighten.

Last edited:

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Take a screwdriver and pry on the joint, see if it moves back and forth. If it does, the track bar bolt isn't tight enough. When I tightened mine the looseness you describe went away too.

Jayz

Reaction score
The collar with 2 Allen screws should b tight, if it came loose no worries out alignment being off......u gotta drop the bar loosing those Allen and the the bar one way or other to adjust it so if they just came loose just fighting them also recheck both mounting points and make sure they're tight too while there

Aaron S

Reaction score
Jayz just gave me a headache.

If you can rotate the collar at all on the adjusting threads then yes just the allens need to be tightened. If you have anti sieze remove the bolts and put it on the threads of the allens first. If you do not have the correct size allen wrench or allen socket for the bolt then I would recomend you get the correct size or take it to someone to prevent damage to the bolt head. If you have the tools to torque the bolts then do so. Icon dosent list a spec, but 5/16 bolts are 21 ft lbs and 3/8 bolts are 35 ft lbs. I cant remember what size it is.

Zmann

Reaction score
Can anyone give me short guidance on how to tighten it until I can get it back for an alignment?

ps trac bar work doesn't require a realignment

BFinMO

Reaction score
Thanks guys! The allens were loose, I backed them out three threads and attempted to tighten the collar but could only get about 1/10th turn out of it. There are a few threads still showing on the trac bar, but it is threaded all the way on the rod end(?). It did tighten and I torqued the allens to 21ft/lb. Seems tight by hand but will take it in when I get back up that way to have the installer double check.

Thanks again.

NotStock

Reaction score
The purpose of the collar is to allow you to shorten or lengthen the track bar in order to center the axle on the truck. Once the collar is adjusted and the track bar is the correct length, the allens are tightened down to lock the collar in place. So if you turned the collar simply to try to "tighten it" till there were no threads, you did not follow in the instructions that Zmann just posted...

BFinMO

Reaction score
Roger that. I went back and read thru them and its good to go.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.