ICP too high?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ok, kind of stumped on this one, but I'm trying to help someone diagnose a truck via the internet, so I don't have the truck in front of me, which makes this even more difficult.

It's a 2007 6.0, throwing these codes:

P2284 is ICP circuit range/performance (a difference was detected between commanded and actual pressure)

P2288 Injection Control pressure to high

He has finally got it on a scanner and at idle ICP desired vs. actual is good. IPR duty cycle is relatively low and seem functional. Now, when he goes WOT, ICP desired doesn't want to seem to go above 1500PSI, while ICP actual shoots up over 4000PSI with ease, I think it even went up to 4700PSI. Truck then throws the code immediately. Truck also has brand new ICP sensor. Is it possible the sensor is still bad new? What else would cause this?

Fuel pressure is good, never falls below 58psi, lots of black smoke on start up as well. I've asked him to try starting it with the ICP unplugged, not sure that has happened yet though.

Any thoughts? Hardly ever see this situation...

Mdub707

Reaction score
IPR readings look good though. There's a youtube vid of it running at idle. IPR may already be new, let me check. I'd hate to just throw parts at it too, I'd really like to help the guy diagnose it.

Just checked, IPR, HPOP, and oil cooler are all new.

Problems started when he was just driving down the road and the truck just shut off going down the road (probably a bad HPOP). He had it towed to dealer, where they did all that work. He got it back and it's running like this now. He brought it back to Ford, they told him it needed a new fuel pump and regulator, and made him pay out of pocket for it cause it wasn't covered under this 5yr/100k warranty, which is crap. I think he's just frustrated with the dealer at this point and wants to fix it himself.

Here's a vid of said truck doing a cold start and idling. This doesn't show the WOT runs of ICP desired vs. actual though, but he did relay that the desired was low at 1500psi and actual was going up over 4000 under WOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCULxPbXNK0

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
It has a new IPR guys... you think it needs another? Did you watch the vid? I appreciate the input, I'd really like to help this guy out. Thanks.

Mdub707

Reaction score
It is a new ICP sensor, think it's bad?

He did say when he put the new ICP sensor on it fixed his issues, but the truck was already warm. Once it cooled down again, he tried restarting it and got the hard start and a lot of black smoke again.

He said he can clear the codes and the truck seems to run fine, until he gets it up to 2500 rpms or so and that's about when ICP desired and actual start going away from each other, and it trips the CEL, as soon as the CEL is on, truck runs like crap across the board.

At one point he said ICP voltage was 1.24 I think... but I'm not sure when this was read...

here is his last post in regards to the truck:
We were running the ford pinpoint AO test for code p2284 this morning and one step is checked for oil aeration. They want you to rev the engine at 3,000 rpm for 3 minutes and than check to see if the icp is over 1800 psi. We revved the engine for the required 3 minutes, let it idle and then brought it to 3000 again. The icp was at about 1540 psi and the desired was abotu the same. Without moving my foot from the accelerator, the enigne revved to 4000 rpm, the icp went to 4700 psi and the icp desired stayed at 1500 psi and the code triggered. I don't know if this is helpful information, but we are having a hard time believing that there is really something wrong with the hpop system and sooner believe that this is an electrical issue. We have made it to the step in the pinpoint tests where we need to back probe the icp sensor and run a KOER test to check for voltage change when the computer command the icp high and low. We will try to do that today. There are only a couple of steps remaining in the pinpoit testing and they are both leaning toward pcm depending on the results of the tests. We will be doing some wot tesing with a different scanner that updates in real time tonight also.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Any input is appreciated. This one has me stumped. Hopefully just something stupid I'm overlooking. Hard to diagnose without the truck in front of you too.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Correct. Actual is sounding right, but desired doesn't seem to go above 1500psi, which is odd.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Sounds like the IPR valve was pulled and the screen was collapsed... I believe a new IPR valve fixed it, despite the readings on the scanner looking "normal" for IPR duty cycle... thanks guys.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Correction... original IPR was re-used (it was new a few weeks ago), but the screen and o-rings were replaced and it runs like new now. The dealership in question that replaced the IPR originally would not stand behind this. In fact after the original work was done, the told the customer he needed a new fuel pump and fuel regulator since they couldn't figure out what was wrong. At that point the owner took it from the dealer and begin doing this himself. I'm glad he figured it out without getting raped for un-needed parts at the dealer...

Latest posts

Members online