Idle Valdiation Switch going out?

JD3020

Reaction score
Been having an intermittent problem with my 01 f450 recently. Whenever i back out of the throttle completely, and then give it throttle again it is unresponsive. If i work the throttle a handful of times it'll eventually come back and is good to go. But its only when i completely release it, rest of the time the throttle works perfectly fine. Today it threw a CEL, getting a P0122 and a P0221.

I know OBS's have a separate idle validation switch, are the SD's the same way? And is it replaceable on its own, or do i have to get a whole assembly? Not very fun trying to drive a ZF6 work truck and having my throttle die on me randomly. LOL

Reaction score
I have always had the what if that fails kind of thinking when I have time to think. The idle validation switch is a small micro switch. It is seperate but has a special plug. I believe (with no actual verification) that the jake brake switch that goes on the PT fuel pump on a Big Cam Cummins could be made to work. It wouldn't have the correct plug, but I believe function and size wise it will match.

JD3020

Reaction score
Finally got around to addressing this tonight. Pulled the assembly off and installed a new Ford TPS that i got a while back from Sunrise on Amazon. Everything looked pretty grimey, i mean its a 270k mile work truck and i'm constantly getting in with muddy boots. Cleaned it up good with some electric contact cleaner and put it in. Started the truck and no throttle, SES, P0122. Pulled everything back off and re-checked it, all looked fine. Put it back on and again, dead throttle. Threw the laptop on it and the IVS was working perfect, but the TPS kept giving me 0v at idle, if i gave it throttle it would creep up to .3v but the throttle felt like it was in a bind. Pulled it all back apart and started trying to figure out what was wrong. After a couple minutes of working it on the bench it made a nice PING! and that was that, something broke inside the TPS. No clue what happened or why.

So now the old TPS is back on, hopefully a good cleaning will help it some. Otherwise i guess i'll be spending another $40 on a TPS to try and fix it again. On the bright side i put some new speakers in tonight, and they are working fine. LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.