Idm Issues

Reaction score
So I took my truck in the other day to get tested for a rough idle when hot and blue smoke when starting to go from a stop. And it also smokes in the mornings. They said that I had codes for every single injector wiring. They said it could either be my idm or injector solenoids. Well come to find out my idm was bad. And they said that everything else checked fine and it's just a bad idm. Would this cause my issues. My truck runs great when cold but when it warms up it runs really on and off. It's pretty weird. And the blue smoke?? Kindof confused how this could cause blue smoke but I guess I could be wrong. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ya they said that when they threw there test idm in it it cleared all of the codes and they said it seemed to run better. And I have ohmed the valve cover harness and they are both fine.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
The blue smoke is not going to come from a bad IDM. Remove your fuel filter cap to see if you have oil in the fuel. Could be an injector o-ring issue if so.

Reaction score
No oil in fuel. I have checked quite a bit actually. And my turbo is fine. Has been checked by 3 mechanics and they all say it's in great condition.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
No oil in fuel. I have checked quite a bit actually. And my turbo is fine. Has been checked by 3 mechanics and they all say it's in great condition.

What is compression like?

If there is no oil in the fuel, and you are having blue smoke issues, you may be looking at a compression problem.

Reaction score
Not sure. I haven't checked compression yet. Maybe it's something I need to look into.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Could the turbo be leaking oil into the exhaust?
Edit: Never mind, he says turbo is fine

Yes, this was my thought as well until I caught what he said about the condition of it.

Not sure. I haven't checked compression yet. Maybe it's something I need to look into.

Yes definitely. If you don't have oil in the fuel (injector o-rings), and your turbo is not leaking oil, then it is likely something to do with compression. Really no other way for oil to get burned.

Arisley

Reaction score
A compression test will rule out or confirm rings. Low compression, drop a teaspoon of oil in each hole. Repeat compression test. If it improves compression, you have bad rings and therefore burning oil. If it does not improve the results, you have leaking valves, not valve seals necessarily.

However, if you have good compression from the initial test and still burning oil, and you verified that the turbo is not leaking oil (take no ones word, verify yourself), then valve stem seals are hopefully your problem. Only other place would be a head gasket, but that would probably not burn oil, that would create massive blowby.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
A compression test will rule out or confirm rings. Low compression, drop a teaspoon of oil in each hole. Repeat compression test. If it improves compression, you have bad rings and therefore burning oil. If it does not improve the results, you have leaking valves, not valve seals necessarily.

However, if you have good compression from the initial test and still burning oil, and you verified that the turbo is not leaking oil (take no ones word, verify yourself), then valve stem seals are hopefully your problem. Only other place would be a head gasket, but that would probably not burn oil, that would create massive blowby.
Sounds like he has some work ahead of him

Reaction score
Dang. I'm not too excited about this but I guess it has to be done!! So to do this compression test. What's the easiest way to make the tool to do it. I don't want to buy a kit. And I want to do it myself. Any help would be awesome.

Latest posts

Members online