Injector noise questions? Listen and tell me your opinion.

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Hard start. I'm a mechanic and it's not my first round with this truck. Just installed new glow plugs. Only found two high ohm'ed plugs. Glow plug relay seems ok. Also installed new glow plug harnesses. The thing is the sound progresses louder from start to finish. My 6.0 is consistent sound all the way though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Atsah

Reaction score
Hard start. I'm a mechanic and it's not my first round with this truck. Just installed new glow plugs. Only found two high ohm'ed plugs. Glow plug relay seems ok. Also installed new glow plug harnesses. The thing is the sound progresses louder from start to finish. My 6.0 is consistent sound all the way though.

I did notice that, battery's all good? FICM is good? Just during cold start or all the time?

Atsah

Reaction score
Maybe oil pressure related.. Does the truck start. If so when it does what does it do, rough idle, smoke.. Is the fuel pressure okay..

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Maybe oil pressure related.. Does the truck start. If so when it does what does it do, rough idle, smoke.. Is the fuel pressure okay..

Truck starts, gonna change oil filter asap. Then up date.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Every single 4 pin FICM I've had sounds just like that. The 7 pins with older programming however will buzz insanely fast from start to finish and make the trucks run so much smoother and quieter.

Have you tested the voltage on the FICM to verify it's good? It's simple enough. Just because it was replaced, doesn't mean it hasn't failed again, because it will at some point. Repair is the better option vs. replace. It does sound pretty healthy from that clip though. However, I've seen more than a few that read 48V with the key on but drop when you crank or drop when it's running.

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
I'm gonna check again. The truck started just fine today. With the new glow plug relay installed. Ill know more tomorrow.

Atsah

Reaction score
I'm gonna check again. The truck started just fine today. With the new glow plug relay installed. Ill know more tomorrow.

Did the filter change make any differance? or did you do both at once..

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Noise is still there. I personaly think the ficm. Ill wait another morning to see if the glow plug relay helps.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
The strategy in the FICM is to rattle the injectors like that. That flash came out in 2009 or so if I remember rightly.

What is your FICM_MPWR PID during the injector rattle and cranking? Needs to be 48v.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Right, but if you have a weak or dying FICM, you can usually tell if it's bad just by hearing the injectors buzz, you'll hear it sound like it's missing a few injectors, or even worse, or just really slow buzzing. At least, if you've listened to enough of them.

Interested to see what he ends up getting for voltage readings. Just had a lady last weekend with an 05 I went to help out with, turn the key and the injector buzz sounded VERY quick and healthy, but sure enough when we hit it with the multi-meter, 36V key on, 48V crankin, 22V running.... junk.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.