Injectors and TS chip reburns?

maxtrax

Reaction score
I have been doing alot of looking recently into getting new injectors. Currently I am running a TS-6 pos chip from DPS. However I have heard lots of things about their injectors (please don't start a lecture on this as I have done my research). One thing that I really like is that they are local for me and I have always had the option of going to their shop to get reburns. This allows me to always have a chip in my truck and not have to wait for shipping. I do have a few questions regarding your products though:

1. From what I have read it appears that you send out new chips at reburns and the customer would return their old chip. Is this correct?

2. If I bought your injectors (if oversized) is the reburn of my current chip free?

3. Would your 175/146 injectors be plenty safe to use with a stock tranny that has a Greg Evans valve body installed?

golfer

Reaction score
I have been doing alot of looking recently into getting new injectors. Currently I am running a TS-6 pos chip from DPS. However I have heard lots of things about their injectors (please don't start a lecture on this as I have done my research). One thing that I really like is that they are local for me and I have always had the option of going to their shop to get reburns. This allows me to always have a chip in my truck and not have to wait for shipping. I do have a few questions regarding your products though:

1. From what I have read it appears that you send out new chips at reburns and the customer would return their old chip. Is this correct?

no, you can send your chip in when you place the injector order, and the chip will be reprogrammed and shipped back to you along with the new injectors. If the chip was originally purchased through us, we could do a chip exchange...but the new chip would be billed, and then the amount would be refunded upon return of the other chip (assuming it is in new condition).

2. If I bought your injectors (if oversized) is the reburn of my current chip free?
yes

3. Would your 175/146 injectors be plenty safe to use with a stock tranny that has a Greg Evans valve body installed?

(loaded question alert, LOL)... but yeah...the 175's are not intended for ultra high performance...these injectors are suited for the daily driver &/or tow vehicle that wants the best mix of fuel efficiency & towing performance.

take care~

Dave

maxtrax

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't intent to race or sled pull with my truck. I just want to get a little more power for pulling an enclosed trailer.

Would I need to upgrade my fuel system any more than it already is? I have drilled banjo bolts, fuel bowl safety parts deleted, and running two in-line fuel pumps. I was thinking about going to a through head fuel system (like riff-raff's) but did not want to go for a full regulated return for budget purposes.

golfer

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't intent to race or sled pull with my truck. I just want to get a little more power for pulling an enclosed trailer.

the 175's would be perfect for this type of application.

Would I need to upgrade my fuel system any more than it already is? I have drilled banjo bolts, fuel bowl safety parts deleted, and running two in-line fuel pumps. I was thinking about going to a through head fuel system (like riff-raff's) but did not want to go for a full regulated return for budget purposes.

As far as the fuel system requirements...90+% of the trucks running the 175's have no issues with regard to fuel pressure...I would recommend that you install a (temporary) fuel pressure gauge to monitor pressure in the various chip programs for a day or so...once you get the injs installed..just to make sure that YOUR truck's fuel (pump) is in decent condition..

here is a link to a quick and easy way to check FP on a 99+ 7.3L

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/site/how_to_pdf/pdf/fuel_pressure.pdf

not sure what drilling banjo bolts is/are, or its' intended purpose....but a regulated return, while recommended....isn't at all necessary...

we would like to see a MINIMUM of 45psi of fuel pressure (hottest chip program, full load, full power up a hill, etc)...pressure much lower than that risks internal damage to the injectors (caused by a lack of lubricity).

maxtrax

Reaction score
I do have a permanent Isspro fuel pressure gauge installed post filter. Even in my top setting my truck still maintains decent pressure (well within range). Typically my truck runs 60-65psi and the regulator is still stock as far as I know.

Drilling the banjo bolts is enlarging the holes in the "banjo bolts" (or bolts that hold the fuel lines into the heads). I also have done the in-tank mods as well.

golfer

Reaction score
I do have a permanent Isspro fuel pressure gauge installed post filter. Even in my top setting my truck still maintains decent pressure (well within range). Typically my truck runs 60-65psi and the regulator is still stock as far as I know.

Drilling the banjo bolts is enlarging the holes in the "banjo bolts" (or bolts that hold the fuel lines into the heads). I also have done the in-tank mods as well.

ok, with the larger injector...just keep an eye on fuel pressure..but it shouldn't drop much if at all.

maxtrax

Reaction score
If my MPG has dropped since last year 16-18 down to 15 or so all summer/fall and my truck is starting to smoke a little more on startup, is it likely that my injectors are just getting worn or I have a cracked tip?

The other possibility that I was thinking is that with the smoking on startup I have been idling it a little longer at startup... so maybe its just bad glow plugs. I know its not the GPR as I have tested that but didn't have time to test my glow plugs.

golfer

Reaction score
If my MPG has dropped since last year 16-18 down to 15 or so all summer/fall and my truck is starting to smoke a little more on startup, is it likely that my injectors are just getting worn or I have a cracked tip?

The other possibility that I was thinking is that with the smoking on startup I have been idling it a little longer at startup... so maybe its just bad glow plugs. I know its not the GPR as I have tested that but didn't have time to test my glow plugs.

It's normal for mpg to fall off during the winter...partly due to additives in pump fuel that prevent gelling (fewer BTUs per volume of fuel with additive)...also diesels are most efficient with toasty hot engines. Add to that extended periods of idle (0 mpg) and things can stack up.

The way in which the HEUI injectors wear will also mechanically build in a delay in (mechanical) injection timing...retarded injection timing is also detrimental to efficiency. We start to see injector wear negatively impacting mpg ~ 180,000miles on injectors.

Not to mention engine wear that would lower the compression...further reducing efficiency.

Our rebuild procedures give our injectors tighter tolerances that exceed those of 'new' injectors. (think 'balanced and blueprinted' as opposed to a 'crate' engine)...

maxtrax

Reaction score
This drop in MPG is not just this winter... it has been lower ever since last winter. My truck just turned 200k and as far as I'm aware has stock injectors. I built and did a blowby test and my truck passed with a reading of 2.8"water (I was told 4"water max is the limit for a healthy truck). Being that this reading was still low I am fairly confident that the compression is still good.

I am hoping to do a compression check on the truck in the next couple of weeks or so. I just finished making my compression test adapter from an old glow plug and purchase the HF diesel compression test kit.

It is understandable that longer idling and a cold engine can reduce my MPG but what has turned my thoughts to injectors is the amount of smoke at startup (oil is still rotella 5w40 synthetic). If all the glow plugs check out and it passes compression test then I will know for sure it is the injectors.

Latest posts

Members online