Injectors for a powermax turbo?

Ford460power

Reaction score
So I've done a ton of research and can't get a good solid answer. I have a powermax with billet wheel. Looking at warren 175/50 or 155/30. I've read lots of mixxed reviews and what not. Truck has studs, egr ******d, upgraded intercooler pipes, intake elbow and more and currently running a looney wild tune.

Going to be ordering injectors this weekend but can't decide what to get. Not planning on towing much and my current Looney wild tune runs pretty awesome right now

da94broncodude

Reaction score
155/30, 155 or 175 stock nozzle, i had 175/75 on a powermax and it got hot, i have a 68mm vgt now and 175s and its alot more tolerable but still can get hot

05wh250

Reaction score
I'm running 170/30 right now with mine, it will get pretty warm. Ran 190/100 with it before and would get just shy of 1700 on a race tune wot. It's all in how the tune is setup.

Petro

Reaction score
Running 190/100's right now with ********** Tuning. I have towed upwards of 10,000 pounds with this setup without any trouble. Like previously stated, its all in the tuning.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
all in the tuning for sure

I had a 05 6.0 CCLB on 38s, powermax, 190/100s and all supporting mods and I would tow a 36' gooseneck with 15k on it almost bi weekly hauling things to my ranch and had no issues at, even went through the hill country and it would get a little warm topping some hills but other than it was completely fine.

and I crazy tony Wildman tuning which meant my tow tune was close to a race tune lol

valvetick

Reaction score
I'm running 190/30 and a kc stage 1.5 so similar to a powermax and I can tow all day no problem and I'm combined weight of 20-24k #'s. Just need a good tow tune but the smaller nozzles do help keep temps down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
I'd look into getting 175/30s. 175/75s gets retarded hot on my truck, perhaps need to get with GH and look into finessing tuning, as my reduced fuel file idles poorly and tow is smooth as glass(Warren injectors), and I've seen 1760º on the RF file on a 0-115mph pull. And I have the AP Apex Jr. manifold. My pyro doesn't work now, and I'm a tad bit scared to see what temps looked like pulling 8-9K across the bridge on the RF file.

When I get mine back, and install Windows on my Mac, I'll work on getting the tuning straight and my RR installed and fuel psi and other gauges installed. Then I can give a better opinion.

Also, according to either Charlie(KC) or James(Barder) the Stg 2 vgt is not a cost effective change from a pmax with a billet wheel, so based off of that, I'd venture to say that you would have slightly better results with the 75% nozzle than those of us with a regular pmax, so I'd say the 50% nozzle SHOULD be fine. It seems that the 30% nozzle is preferred by those towing heavy/often.

And like others mentioned, tuning plays a huge factor here as well.

Oliver (Odawg) has a thread here, stating that his billet wheeled pmax and 175/75s put down around 570(using trap speed), which sounds like the area most are claiming with a stg 2 from Barder or KC, which furthers my thoughts that you could run that 175/50 rather well, far better than I've seen with my set up. As it stands, this is an ideal pairing of turbo and injector, I'm FARRR from an expert here but this is what I would do, knowing what I do now:
–Pmax(and similar sized KC and Barder chargers)-stock to 155/30

-Stg 2(65mm)/Billet wheeled pmax-175/30 or 75% nozzle if you don't tow

-Stg 3(68mm)-175/75(clean burning setup, PTSUPERD reported 1300º as highest EGTs he hit, on 37s), 190/75 for a more street driven truck, 205/75 is the largest I'd run on it, limit on stock hpo and I can't imagine it being an ideal setup fully fueled.

Again, this is what I've gathered, through the observations of others.

Re-reading, if you don't tow much, I'd do 175/75 personally.

Also, keep in mind that the trans is going to be your weak link...ask me how I found out LOL

Reaction score
So, this seems to be a little different logic than I'm used to. On the 7.3 it's now becoming more popular to run larger nozzles to take advantage of shorter pulse width (good tow tune used short puls width with higher ICP) for lower egts, and it's proven to work, why isn't this the standard for the 6.0? What am i missing

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
My understanding is the huge nozzles aren't needed to empty the injectors(ex a 30% will empty a 175cc injector or something) and the bigger nozzles don't atomize fuel as well, so it doesn't burn as efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I understand they aren't needed, but look at it like this. If I have to increase pulse width to get max fuel/power out of let's say a 175 cc. injector with a stock nozzle, in greasing the time to allow to use all fuel available and increasing time of burn you get high egt, if I were to stick a 30% nozzle on there (again, theoretically) you could decrease pulse width by 30%, in crease icp to push fuel faster and gain back lost atomization, and move the same amount of fuel in less time, equals shorter burn time and lower egts, at least this is how we were doing it on the 7.3s. Again, I'm not talking about increasing nozzle size for max fuel, but for faster injection cycle, i.e. a tow tune. So you SHOULD be able to make (just a number) 400HP with both bozzles, but the larger ones should do it cleaner and cooler. Again, I'm no expert, and claimed to be, just trying to figure out this new to me platform and make sense of things, i wanna make the most educated choice when the time comes for new injectors

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

Reaction score
And, my setup is primary for tow, not max fuel and power

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Im no expert in this either, however, some personal experience on my truck for what its worth. When i installed my kc stage 2 and190/30s the truck was very smokey on wot runs on the street tune. In talking with charlie from kc and alex from idp, i did several wot pulls while monitoring everything. My pulse width was at 2.1ms with 4.7v icp. Now, with revised tunes, i believe my pulse width is at 1.8-1.9 ms at 4.5v icp. So in order to keep huge nozzles from smoking too bad, i think the pulse width would have to be too low to maje it run right. Also from what ive read huge nozzles are very hard to tune driveability wise.

This is solely based on personal experience and from what i've read. I n no way claim to be an expert or a tuner. I hope this helps somr.

Latest posts

Members online