Injectors for towing

bigwheel

Reaction score
Right now in my truck I am running Full Force stage 2 160/80 injectors. Hey run good but I am looking for advice and real world driving. I dont drive my truck much but when I do it is mostly towing. I know I need to fix the HPOP issue first, but just towing a 3500 lb boat to the lake I get 11.5 mpg and run hot. Any hill 1200 instantly. So I am looking at the 200/30 or 250/200. Are there better ones that I should run or keep what I have? i am looking for low egts and a little better mpg and all around good dd/towing. Thanks

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
My old tunes easily made high EGT's with AC codes (stock nozzles) + 38R, my new tunes can barely break 1100* FLOGGING it with a GCVW of over 20k. I think with good tunes those 80% over nozzles would be even better...

That said, I'm leaning toward 250/200's and a GTX4294 for the X - also towing with a GCVW of over 20k. :thumbup:

SeeYa

Reaction score
Right now in my truck I am running Full Force stage 2 160/80 injectors. Hey run good but I am looking for advice and real world driving. I dont drive my truck much but when I do it is mostly towing. I know I need to fix the HPOP issue first, but just towing a 3500 lb boat to the lake I get 11.5 mpg and run hot. Any hill 1200 instantly. So I am looking at the 200/30 or 250/200. Are there better ones that I should run or keep what I have? i am looking for low egts and a little better mpg and all around good dd/towing. Thanks

To follow up from you post on CDTC, I see you mention Hpop issues, too. ICP is factored in to help keep EGT's cooler. It is all about atomization. Double and triple check to make sure you don't have an exhaust leak or leaks around the turbo and up pipes. For reference, what is your boost pressure when you see the 1200* and which tune are you in? I think once you get the HPOP issues fixed and consider a different turbo for the larger injectors with a tweak here and there in the tunes you will be good to go.

Diane

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
I have the same Inj's..with a modded h2e and tow almost 3x's your weight..no issues..FYI I am using TW tunes..last trip towing 9k+ hauling A** and major hills averaged 12.5 mpg's..empty I get 15 town, Hy 17-18

Big Bore

Reaction score

What is your HPOP issue? I know it seems counter intuitive, but it's being proven over and over that the larger 200% nozzles run cooler than smaller nozzles. Once you get to that point it's a matter of tuning. Not sure what chip you are running, but a TS chip has several good options for tuners.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Get the hpo issues straightened out first and try talking with your tuner about the issues you are having. I would do everything I could to fix the problem without changing injectors before I looked to bigger injectors.

Just my .02

bigwheel

Reaction score
Sorry guys and gals for leaving out some info. The HPOP issue is only building to 2200 if I stab the throttle and almost 3000 if I slowly roll into it. So trying to get that fixed now. I do have a 38R installed in right now so I would think I have the air at this elevation. Making about 30 psi. The reason I am asking that maybe switching injectors is because I really have a guy that wants to buy the ones I have now. So just looking at opitions to see if there is something better for my setup.

Bigbore I am running the same tunes as you from Curtis. I might need to talk to you more about your truck PM.

2000 7.3, auto, 160/80, afe 1 and 38r
Thanks

Big Bore

Reaction score
Sorry guys and gals for leaving out some info. The HPOP issue is only building to 2200 if I stab the throttle and almost 3000 if I slowly roll into it. So trying to get that fixed now. I do have a 38R installed in right now so I would think I have the air at this elevation. Making about 30 psi. The reason I am asking that maybe switching injectors is because I really have a guy that wants to buy the ones I have now. So just looking at opitions to see if there is something better for my setup.

Bigbore I am running the same tunes as you from Curtis. I might need to talk to you more about your truck PM.

2000 7.3, auto, 160/80, afe 1 and 38r
Thanks

Ohhh ok thats right lol, now I know who you are LOL.

No need to go PM, it's your thread and it could help others.

30psi is def good, I can barely get 28/29 at Denver with a little bigger injector, but I think I did see signs of a small exhaust leak at the uppipe where the preturbo pyro attaches.

I hope you can get those ICP issues ironed out, sure has been a head scratcher. along those lines, I don't remember what all you did, but a sticky IPR comes to mind when thinking of your issue, did you ever try swapping in for a known good one? ICP sensor?

bigwheel

Reaction score
No I haven't tried the IPR yet I am going to do that next week when I get back it to town. I was thinking that it could be acting up. I will let you know how it goes.

You are running 160/30 correct? How do you like them all around, for towing?

Big Bore

Reaction score
No I haven't tried the IPR yet I am going to do that next week when I get back it to town. I was thinking that it could be acting up. I will let you know how it goes.

You are running 160/30 correct? How do you like them all around, for towing?

175/30. They run hot. I am going to something bigger with at least a 200% nozzle.

TARM

Reaction score
Makes you wonder how anyone ever tows max loads with tiny old stock nozzles or say 80% nozzles and did not just melt their engines to the ground. While larger nozzle can ultimately get a lower egt number with properly dialed in tunes does not mean that smaller nozzles can not and do not with proper tuning have the egts well within the normal range no matter what the in specd load.

Big Bore

Reaction score
There's several plausible reasons they didn't melt an engine. They backed off the throttle, were running a bone stock truck and not making any speed, or they didn't live up here. The smaller injection window available to the larger nozzle is the key. Smaller nozzles means wider PW for the same amount of fuel.

And I've seen several heat damaged motors up here, including stock trucks.

bigwheel

Reaction score
So what would you guys rec? The 250/200's can be tuned way down for low egt and good towing but how are they as a DD? Will the truck be a good dd, or what MPG? Any thoughts on the 200/30's? I have seen them have good MPG and make around low 400's but not sure for the towing. Is there something better?

ccmac

Reaction score
Don't intentially mean to zombie an old thread but I have the same question. I have heard nothing but good things from everyone that's running 200/30s but haven't found anything on how they tow? Will probably be going with Gearhead tunes, working on a 38R setup right now. I don't tow often, but when I do it's heavy, and the rest of the time if I'm in my 350 it's for a long highway weekend trip.

Latest posts

Members online