*Input please* Stroker build..

Pyromaniak001

Reaction score
Don't do a lot of posting but i do a LOT of reading and research on here. Looking for some advice and figure the best way to get it is to ask the community as a whole lol.
I'll give a you guys a rundown of my truck so far..

2001 F250 7.3 cc 4x4 platinum ed.

Current setup:
8" superlift
22" wheels
37" toyo M/T
Stock trans
Stock diffs
Straight pipe
TS chip
Analog boost and pyro / aero force duals for everything else imaginable
05 Harley headlights
08 mirrors and tails
Amp steps
Road armor front bumper w/ PIAAs
Ranch hand rear bumper
Custom hole in drivers door from previous owner
Nice driveline shudder :/
Sweet stickers on back glass

Purchased recently (not yet installed) :
GTP38r
Bellowed up pipes
CFM+ intake
5" MBRP turbo back
ARP head studs
Airdog II
DD 5/8" tank pickup
Terminator HPOS
HPO x-over
HPF x-over
A few other things (cosmetics)

Needed:
Injectors ***(suggestions\ideas\previous experiences)***
Fuel bowl delete w/ reg return
Verify PMR or forged rods
Trans
Driveshafts
Diffs
Custom tunes
Paint
On-board air

My question is, what might I have overlooked that might prevent catastrophic failure after the build?? This is my work truck and i spend a lot of time driving from location to location and down back roads, also idles for extended periods of time occasionally (5-6 hrs). Any input, ideas, constructive commentary will be appreciated. Don't really have a predetermined horsepower goal, but 450+ would be nice, as long as it has good "street manners". Thanks in advance!

Pyromaniak001

Reaction score
If the rods are PMRs, I'll have to replace them with forged. If I'm gonna dump this much money into a truck, I don't wanna have something in there that's given others so much trouble, I'll never be able to sleep at night lol. I want her to last a while.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
250/80s for injectors.

Theres a thread on how to check for PMRs through an inspection plug.

If its a nut on a stud you have forged rods. If its a bolt head you got PMRs

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
250/200s for injectors and have them custom tuned/de-tuned for your power goals. with any back road driving what so ever do the donaldson/wix/napa/6637/tymar intake no cone or oiled filters... bts trans, truetrac front and rear diff..
btw, the cfm+ intake, thats the spider right? not the actual intake filter?

Last edited:

Big Calo

Reaction score
Valvesprings and traction bars.

What is the climate like where you are at? Just something to keep in mind with extended idle periods, in cooler climates, wetstacking might be an issue with larger nozzles. (Dont hold me to that, just a thought that might would be worth asking your tuner about.) Myself I would go with quaility rods, after having mine chuck a stock forged one, but I dont think the engine was exactly healthy anyway.

Pyromaniak001

Reaction score
250/200s for injectors and have them custom tuned/de-tuned for your power goals. with any back road driving what so ever do the donaldson/wix/napa/6637/tymar intake no cone or oiled filters... bts trans, truetrac front and rear diff..
btw, the cfm+ intake, thats the spider right? not the actual intake filter?

As far as 250/200s go, does anyone know of a shop that can live tune in houston or san antonio? I live in houston and work near SA.

Currently running the 6637 from napa. Is it necessary to run a shiny decorative metal intake tube or is the stock tube adequate? And yes I meant the spider not the filter.

BTS is a dream trans for me but I'll have to do some serious schedule finessing to make that happen. I use the truck daily so it can't really be down for a whole week (or longer). I'll have to figure something out with that..

As far as the Tru-trac front and rear diffs, any on site vendors or recommendations?

Pyromaniak001

Reaction score
Valvesprings and traction bars.

What is the climate like where you are at? Just something to keep in mind with extended idle periods, in cooler climates, wetstacking might be an issue with larger nozzles. (Dont hold me to that, just a thought that might would be worth asking your tuner about.) Myself I would go with quaility rods, after having mine chuck a stock forged one, but I dont think the engine was exactly healthy anyway.

Definitely planning on rear traction bars, but what about the front axle? Not that I'm planning a trackday any time soon, but I'm not going to rule it out. Think they're necessary for the front axle?

I live in Houston, work in the south tx area (South of SA, north of Laredo).
Never heard of wetstacking..

farm boy

Reaction score
As far as 250/200s go, does anyone know of a shop that can live tune in houston or san antonio? I live in houston and work near SA.

Currently running the 6637 from napa. Is it necessary to run a shiny decorative metal intake tube or is the stock tube adequate? And yes I meant the spider not the filter.

BTS is a dream trans for me but I'll have to do some serious schedule finessing to make that happen. I use the truck daily so it can't really be down for a whole week (or longer). I'll have to figure something out with that..

As far as the Tru-trac front and rear diffs, any on site vendors or recommendations?

You have the 7.3 Wizard in your back yard then. Look up Diesel Innovations in Houston. David is a great guy. He does transmissions and engines. He can hook you up with whatever parts you need, as well as do a rod swap if you need one.

David did a rod swap, along with installing head studs, valve springs, and push rods in my truck in January, and the truck hasn't missed a beat. I work it pretty hard and have every bit of confidence in my engine.

Good Luck :pimp:

http://www.diperformancetransmissions.com/

Pyromaniak001

Reaction score
You have the 7.3 Wizard in your back yard then. Look up Diesel Innovations in Houston. David is a great guy. He does transmissions and engines. He can hook you up with whatever parts you need, as well as do a rod swap if you need one.

David did a rod swap, along with installing head studs, valve springs, and push rods in my truck in January, and the truck hasn't missed a beat. I work it pretty hard and have every bit of confidence in my engine.

Good Luck :pimp:

http://www.diperformancetransmissions.com/

PM'ed

Jason

Reaction score
You can buy a bts from a vendor, and have trans delivered to you. Crate yours back up and ship back for a core charge...or sell yours local. Core charge will end up washing out with freight charges. DI in Houston, or TSD in San Antonio could do the install for you also. As for tuning, Matt Robinson @Gearhead Automotive in Bryan gets my vote. Hes got these ole 7.3 trucks down to a science.

bruce

Reaction score
Can you send the 38r, bellowed up pipes, cfm+ intake, air dog and the frx? If you can get an s467 on irates t4 along with some 250/100's. Those big tires and higher hp you need to look into a tranny or at leadt a 6.0 to start with. After you figure out if you have pmr you can better address tge situation.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
David Lott at Diesel Innovations in Houston can tune for you. Matt Robinson at Gearhead is also down in that general area and tunes as well. Chris at Truck Source Diesel is in San Antonio and can tune too. That is three good duded all capable to help you acquire what you want.

I'm going against the grain here..... Throw in a set of Stage IIs for injectors - they are plenty controllable - will give you awesome idle and low end control - you'll be licking at the low to mid 400rwhp range and be reliable as hell and less finicky on the tuning.

Call and talk to the three guys I mentioned - get their input and use them to make your decision as well - since they will be the guys tuning it for you.

Jason

TARM

Reaction score
I recommend Matt@ gearhead and his prices and lifetime free upgrades just sweetens the deal

bruce

Reaction score
jeez i missed a few important words in the original post
Can you send the 38r, bellowed up pipes, cfm+ intake, air dog and the frx back? If you can get an s467 on irates t4 along with some 250/100's. Those big tires and higher hp you need to look into a tranny or at least a 6.0 cooler to start with. After you figure out if you have pmr you can better address tge situation.

OSCS

Reaction score
im in the houston area and can tell you david lott is a monster when it comes to tunning.. check my sig for proof. PM me for details or help on studding options

Pyromaniak001

Reaction score
jeez i missed a few important words in the original post

That post made much more sense after adding a few words lol. I can't send them back, but I can sell them if they're just a waste. That's the purpose of this thread, to find out what works, what I'm missing, and the in between. As far as the trans goes, I definitely plan on having it built to handle the added mods. Grenaded one in my previous 7.3 and that was no fun..

Pyromaniak001

Reaction score
David Lott at Diesel Innovations in Houston can tune for you. Matt Robinson at Gearhead is also down in that general area and tunes as well. Chris at Truck Source Diesel is in San Antonio and can tune too. That is three good duded all capable to help you acquire what you want.

I'm going against the grain here..... Throw in a set of Stage IIs for injectors - they are plenty controllable - will give you awesome idle and low end control - you'll be licking at the low to mid 400rwhp range and be reliable as hell and less finicky on the tuning.

Call and talk to the three guys I mentioned - get their input and use them to make your decision as well - since they will be the guys tuning it for you.

Jason

Thank you. I'll check into all three and see which has the time in their schedule to tune for me. I'll report back with what I discuss with each.

Latest posts

Members online