Installed CAI lost 1mpg but got it back then some.

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
I picked up a slightly used airaid mxp intake from a guy locally he basically said he put it on didnt like the extra noise and took it off. when i installed it i found the stock air filter to be in bad shape.. the bottom was completely black and covered in crap, looked like oil. after i installed it the throttle response was like night and day. but previously i would hover around 14.2mpg traveling around town ive seen as high as 15.1 in the 2 weeks of having the truck. after my initial "breakin" :D i refilled and reset the trip drove around for another 2 days and couldn't break 13.2. driving conservatively trying to get the mpg up but no go. i also installed 35" toyo at's and 20x10's friday and just did a dpf delete yesterday now im only seeing 11.1-2.... i was certain something was wrong both these mods should result in better mileage besides the 35 12.50's..

Then i remembered from my lt1 camaro days every time you changed something you unplugged the pcm for a few mins to get it to reset and relearn. so i tried it today on the 6.7 and bam right up to 15.2 got as much at 16.8 on the hwy going on a 200 mile trip to pa. been staying around 16.4 driving around for an hour doing some shopping.

i still ordered a afe oem replacment air filter and am going to try that and the stock intake see what happens in about a week.. just out of curiosity.

im interested to see how summer diesel treats me.

2011 ccsb 3.31
H&S minimax dpf off in perf, flo pro 5", airaid intake, 35x12.50's on 20x10's

Last edited:

TripleE44

Reaction score
The only real way to see mileage would be to hand calculate... The dash readout has the name lie-o-meter for a reason.

That is interesting about unplugging the PCM for a little bit though.