Intake boots

MeTo

Reaction score
Does anyone make aftermarket silicon intake boots with ribs in them like the oem units? I have not run across any. I would like a 3"x 6" with ribs on one side only. I will be finishing the hot side cac pipe next week.

old man dave

Reaction score
The Cummins boys use constant tension clamps and a little hairspray to keep their boots on and they run way more boost than us 7.3 folks

old man dave

Reaction score
They also don't have ccv until like 07

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats CCV got to do with it? There's not a substantial amount of oil in the intake. The hairspray acts like removable glue so the boot doesn't slip and seals the boot as a side effect.

webb06

Reaction score
Whats CCV got to do with it? There's not a substantial amount of oil in the intake. The hairspray acts like removable glue so the boot doesn't slip and seals the boot as a side effect.

So you're telling me your 7.3 doesn't have oil residue inside the intercooler piping? That's from the ccv dumping back into the intake stream, unlike a cummins where they vented to atmosphere until the 6.7 came out in 07.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old man dave

Reaction score
I said there is not a substantial amount of oil in the intake, not none, apparently you have reading difficulties. And the last time I looked at the stock boots there weren't any ribs on mine. The silicone boots I use don't have any either. I don't have a CCV ****** either. I don't have a problem with the boots blowing off as long as the boots are properly installed, but I only ran 32psi boost and used the constant torque clamps.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The Cummins boys use constant tension clamps and a little hairspray to keep their boots on and they run way more boost than us 7.3 folks

x2 on the hairspray. You can also use bourbon/vodka which turns sticky when dry but can't waste the alcohol.

On a side note.....my gf stopped by the shop and saw the hairspray. She automatically assumed I had some other female over. I told her what I use the hairspray and she didn't believe me.....oh well.

Billy T.
[email protected]

MeTo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I found 2 at the local salvage yard. Ford uses the exact boot I was looking for between the cold cac pipe and intake y. I wasn't aware of this since I purchased some 7.3 sd cac pipes for my 6.0 ic install.

I like the hairspray thing. I have used hairspray to hold the handle bar grips on my motorcycles; it works great.

old man dave

Reaction score
Here's a link to the stainless constant tension T-bolt clamps from McMaster-Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#constant-tension-hose-clamps/=142joj4

Before you use the used hoses, clean them thoroughly and degrease the metal parts of the intake plenum and the Y-adaptors. Use dishwasher machine detergent (not dish handwashing soap) and hot water (tap is OK). The dishwasher detergent is highly alkaline and will remove all of the oil/grease from the hoses. One brand is Calgon but the others work also. Also use gloves since the alkaline detergent is pretty hard on the hands.

Spray on the hairspray just before installing the hoses. This increases the grippiness and is also makes it easy to remove the hoses when you want to remove them. Using other kinds of adhesives makes the hoses hard to remove.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online