Intercooler Tube Clamp Torque?

imelmo

Reaction score
What is the torque spec for the intercooler tube clamps? I used to have it written down but can't find it now. I know the uppipe clamp at the turbo is 108in/lbs and the downpipe clamp is 89in/lbs, just can't remember or find the spec for the intercooler tube clamps.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I found this:

Clean the hose mating surfaces to ensure the hoses will stay in place. Seat the hoses completely onto their mounting surfaces before tightening the clamps to 9 ft/lbs. Undamaged hoses may be reused, but they must be cleaned and inspected. If the inside of the hose is blue, it is recommended to apply a thin uniform coating of Motorcraft TA-31 RTV silicone to the mounting surface after cleaning. After reeassembling, allow the silicone to cure for three hours before driving the truck. Test drive the truck while monitoring the boost pressures, which should be 22-25 PSI. An overboost condition will cause the hose to blow off.
TSB 07-5-15.
On 2004/05 trucks that exhibit the cold side hose/pipe blowing off at the intake manifold, replace the plastic tube with part #6C3Z-6C640-AA as in recall 05B29 (trucks built from 12-15-03 to 4-1-04), or repair as in TSB # 05-22-3 (trucks built from 4-1-05). Clean the intercooler and intake flange with brake parts cleaner. Seat the hose/pipe onto the intake manifold and torque the clamp to 9 ft/lbs (12 NM). Broadcast Message 1329, TSB 04-20-9, TSB 05-22-3.

9 ft-lbs...? Sounds weak.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Looking through the coffee table book, it says air inlet duct clamp 44 in/lbs, so that would ~3.7 ft/lbs. I guess the TSB is basically saying to crank it down further to 9 ft/lbs???

imelmo

Reaction score
It doesn't take much to strip those clamps though. That's why I found the spec way back when. I was always stripping 'em trying to get them really tight.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.